GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hitting type sound from the rear of the car

Default hitting type sound from the rear of the car

I'm hearing a hitting type sound coming for it seems the rear left of the car. It's not the subframe bolts. I can't describe it well. Today I moved the exhaust around a bit, about 1.5" of play. I couldn't notice anything unsuall and don't have pics (it's dark outside).

I been reading a few other posts and think it maybe this.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte...terBearing.htm

But the sound still happens at higher speeds over 80 kms.When I turn right, i can barely hear it, but when i turn left, its a lot louder, going over bumps also makes me go eek!

Or I can check the exhaust hangers. Any other help guys?

Have you checked the subframe bushings? Look above the bushing and see if you have very clear marks on the floor pan. Did you retorque the subframe nuts well after you put in the plates?

Will it make the noise if you get on/off the gas in a straight line?

Is it a "thud" or a "whhrrrrrrrr" type sound?
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Have you checked the subframe bushings? Look above the bushing and see if you have very clear marks on the floor pan. Did you retorque the subframe nuts well after you put in the plates?

Will it make the noise if you get on/off the gas in a straight line?

Is it a "thud" or a "whhrrrrrrrr" type sound?
    Hi Jeff,

I know it's definately not the subframe bushings bolts again. You can see the delrin plates there, but I'm certain there on tight. My mate bolted them up first, then I had a quick go. They are tight.

I drove the car home from work this evening. I don't think there is noise when I get on / off the gas.

It a thud type sound.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by BigKriss; 04-14-2005 at 09:38 AM.

probably the muffler swinging over, might need fresh exhaust hangers. The old ones get kinda mooshy after a while.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'm going to second that. If they're loose, the thing will chatter as it hits the heat shields.

I've got a similar noise... but I only hear it at low speeds over bumps...

I'll prolly crawl up under there and take a peak at it this weend
    Former: 95-530iM

Current: 99 GMC Seirra 1500

Default i have video of what it sounds like

here is the download. ftp://divineftp.no-ip.org/jap/soundrear.wmv. The file is 2mb in size.

As you can see / hear - as the car goes over the bumps in the road it's making a hitting / screaching nosie. I'm going about 90km down the hill.

I spoke to Martin in Bellveue, he suggests its either a rear dried out shock or the center support bearing. cv joint or halfshaft or even a rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's the top rear strut mount.

Can anyone else give advice - I don't want to take it too a mechanic.

lay off the track days for a while kriss,

it sounds like you have broken your diff side bearing

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    I spoke to Martin in Bellveue, he suggests its either a rear dried out shock or the center support bearing. cv joint or halfshaft or even a rear wheel bearing. I don't think it's the top rear strut mount.
    From that list, I can only imagine it would be a dying shock. Given the constant creaking as the rear suspension moves, that's really all it can be.

CV joints and associated parts would make noise that is dependent on torque and/or speed. This doesn't seem to be the case. This sounds to be solely caused by the movement of the rear suspension. no?

Given the loudness and the knocking/hitting sound - I'd imagine this should be pretty obvious to the eye. To make a hitting sound, something has to be loose. Perhaps a trailing arm bushing? Maybe a REALLY dead pitman arm?

You are SURE it's coming from the rear, right? What all is non-stock in your rear suspension?

Also; I was confused as hell for a second with the camera on the left side of the car - my brain must be going slow today.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius
    Maybe a REALLY dead pitman arm?
    I check the left hand side rear pitman arm (aka dogbone), and it was damaged, there's a about 1.5 cm of play, It's broken. I have one pic, its poor quality. Luckily, i have a new set in the garage, now begging to be put on.

thanks mobius, i won't be driving untill its fixed. I'll have to put the new set on in the next few days.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1074&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast