GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Steering wheel exchange problem

Default Steering wheel exchange problem

I have a '91 M5 (6/90) build date and am trying to replace the stock steering wheel with an M tec wheel from an E30. Got the original wheel off with no problem. Installed the new one and everything seemed fine, until I took the test drive and noticed that when I turned the wheel seemed "catch", almost like the wheel lock was trying to engage. Got it back and tried to remove and it won't come off the spindle. The wheel has some up & down play but not much....anyone have any ideas on what may be keeping the wheel from being removed???? Thanks,

brute force would help on this one. Just set your knees on the back of the steering wheels pushing towards you, than put the central locking nut back on so it levels ecually with the thread, and then just hit the nut with a medium hammer. Keep the steering wheel locked, this will prevend any damage to the steering column- It should come ofd this way, just apply all the force towards you with your knees.

Default Do not use brute force, its not needed and it won't work, just turn the key

to the on position and it will unlock the wheel and the wheel will lift right off. Disconnect the battery first though so you don't set an airbag code when you turn the key on.

Quote Originally Posted by empower
    I have a '91 M5 (6/90) build date and am trying to replace the stock steering wheel with an M tec wheel from an E30. Got the original wheel off with no problem. Installed the new one and everything seemed fine, until I took the test drive and noticed that when I turned the wheel seemed "catch", almost like the wheel lock was trying to engage. Got it back and tried to remove and it won't come off the spindle. The wheel has some up & down play but not much....anyone have any ideas on what may be keeping the wheel from being removed???? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    to the on position and it will unlock the wheel and the wheel will lift right off. Disconnect the battery first though so you don't set an airbag code when you turn the key on.
    I've tried the soft approach and I've tried using a gear puller but not too aggressively, that's when I figured that there seems to be something "engaged" and holding the wheel....yes it seems bizarre to me too