GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Preventative maintenace vs. pre-preventative

Default Preventative maintenace vs. pre-preventative

maintenace as I would call it. My dad always said "if it's not broken don't fix it" My car runs fine, idles perfect and only every once in a great while do I get a stumble in accelaration from a dead stop after a block of driving and only when engine is cold.

I was planning on cleaning the ICV and throttle body this weekend as preventative maintenance but why mess with something that is not broken or is working fine. I see fixing items that might become a problem such as loose clips or cracked hoses, wires or other items.

Does anyone consider this preventative maintenance? If the car had a rough idle and ran bad then I would correct.

Just a thought and wanting input.

Thanks
    Kurt
    95 525ia

Default "if it's not broken don't fix it" is american cars

that are throw away at 150k, If you waited for everything to break the same thing would apply to BMW. I dont think your off base with working on it when its not broken at all.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I second Jeff's opinion - I prefer to fix things on my terms, not when the car breaks down in some parking lot somewhere.
    1994 530iA Sold
    2003 FX-35
    1991 MR2 Turbo

Default if it breaks or busts it means we didnt do our proper BMW maintenance

which is preventative. My mechanic thinks Im nuts when I tell him what Im gonna do at my leasure, he says its a waste of time and money. I just countered and asked him how many BMWs have you seen on the side of the road with red tow away stickers. His only reply was that they have enough money to get them off the road sooner and we both laughed. He did agree that it wouldnt be a bad idea to replace all the fluids and worn parts before they break. He said that he sees so many broken cars on a daily basis that my stuff looks too good to replace and if all the cars he sees has as good of parts on mine he would be out of business. So, I feel the BMW preventative maintenance is as important as changing oil.

Although I got so lucky as to have purchased a used BMW that I havent had ANY problems except for the initial miss that was corrected with new plug boots.

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy