GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I put some new ebc reds on the front, questions about them

Default I put some new ebc reds on the front, questions about them

My stock pads where labeled jurid 187. Great pedal feel when cold, not much pedal distance about 2 cm before they bit in. Now it's like 6 cm before the car brakes strongly.

here is my question?

how should the pads behave in term of travel distance and pedal feel.

I took the car to the track with about 70 km of city driving plus 200 km of freeway driving to bed them in. Then I hit the track. I didn't machine the rotors, or use anti squeal material (they don't squeal now). I think I bled the brakes properly. The EBC reds don't fade, but I was getting excessive brake shudder and long pedal feel, even when the pads where warm / hot.

On my 4th session time out there, i began feeling the shuddering. yes i think now they are rotors are warped. The wheels where still very warm 20 mins after a session.

Anyway, besides the rotors taking a beating, what are the symptoms not bleeding the brakes properly?

Even more of a reason now to upgrade the brakes to a 540 package.

Kris,

- Did you bed in the pads per the instructions? I believe EBC does have instructions on how to heat cycle the pads.

- Re EBC in general - I had a set of EBC Reds and, while they worked great on the street, they did not stand up well to the heat generated on the track. They tended to carbonize and crumble. FYI - this was before I did the cooling upgrades on my brakes. In general, I was not impressed with their lasting ability and that was the last time I used EBC product. I have heard from others similar reports of the Reds not working well on the track.

- Warping of rotors is more likely related to your cooldown procedure than your pads. Are you sure they are warped? Check to see if you have pad compound on the rotor. Since you were using the Reds, I wouldn't be surprised that that's the problem vs actual warping.

- Re wheels still being warm after 20 minutes. Yup. In our past conversations, I advised heat was your enemy and you should really look to get some cooling on your brakes if you plan to do track work.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

I didn't read the bed in instructions for the EBC reds, i just drove them normally, for about 270km before the track session.

The pads for my session did not fade Jeff, compared to the jurids, they kept on going. also not once did the abs kick in with these pads, however the tyres where making squaling sounds from the deacceration.

are the 540 ducts the way to go or would a DIY option with custom ducting with removal the fog light be more appropriate?

You should try to follow the heat cycle instructions from the manufacturer. That will ensure maximum pad life and effectiveness.

I'm confused about your no fade, no ABS comment. Do you get ABS lockup early with the Jurids but not later? That could be pad related gassing. If you can always get ABS lockup with the Jurids but not the EBCs, then it sounds like you are getting better bite with Jurids. Describe the fade symptoms better.

The 540 ducts will look stock and seem to work well for me. I never found roter based backing plates for the 5 series. That's a full race setup but would require a high level of fabrication. The 540 ducts look good and you can buy all the parts off the shelf.

Jeff
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda

Sorry Jeff I will try to be more specific.

"I'm confused about your no fade, no ABS comment. Do you get ABS lockup early with the Jurids but not later?"

Yes that is correct. As the jurids wore on I couldn't get ABS lockup. About after 5 hard laps on the jurids, the brakes were not there anymore, extremely spongy however after 7 laps with EBC reds, they where still going strong, no ABS but the front tires where squealing.

I never use my fog lights so I don't car of not having them anymore. I can't tell exactly by your sig pic, but are your ducts underneath the front spoiler or through the fog lights. I'm fearing if I put them underneath the front spoiler, it will be too low too the ground (in terms of hitting low things on the road).

Bellevue WA

Jeff,
    I am a little confused with the brake ducting on the e34. Hopefully you can help clear it up.

Are the intakes installed on the front spoiler (below foglights) just intakes or is their actually some tube that air flows through to get to the rotors?

If there is no rotor-backing plate, where does the ducted air get directed to?

Thanks,
    ashley

'92 525iA / 179k miles / Born 3.92 / ABS / No ASC / stock / North Carolina

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Ashley - the kit will direct air to the top of the caliper. The output of the ducting stops at the forward lip of the front fender well. The ducting "points" the air into the back of the wheel at the top of the caliper.
    Bellevue WA

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Ashley - the kit will direct air to the top of the caliper. The output of the ducting stops at the forward lip of the front fender well. The ducting "points" the air into the back of the wheel at the top of the caliper.
    Thanks! That clears it up.
    -ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    I never found roter based backing plates for the 5 series.
    Jeff
    Jeff,

Check out this company. They don't have anything listed for the e34, but maybe they can modify something they have.

http://www.roadracetech.com/performa...ts/cooling.asp

-ashley

Paper Gaskets Suck!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast