GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear end Rebuild...the real (and working) thing this time

Default Rear end Rebuild...the real (and working) thing this time

Finally we are able to post the adventures of Jeff and Junior (Sal) on a nice fairly warm weekend. There is a lot of interest in this post and I am proud to realease a working copy for you to learn thanks to everyone and especially to Whit.

Remember we are professionals and you definetly should not try this at home...

http://www.bimmer.info/~regal632/rearend.html

Enjoy...
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

you came, you saw, you kicked it's ass
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

....twice!

Thanks Winfred for the heads up on "it just a damned rear end" I probably wouldnt really have checked it out and found that a spindly old man such as myself could do this. I however am still real sore from the lack of workout that this thing bring. I have respect for the people that breed them tin soldiers and didnt want to bring a short term to their lifes blood so I had a mission to those fine folks.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Good job. Hmmm, "hydraulic press" on those bearings, nice.
    Brandon J

Default I missed a few steps

The ones with the new seals, crush collar, & bearings.

Dial measure, Prussian blue on the ring to check the pinion/ring gear heal, preload and torque.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default yes you did

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bob
    The ones with the new seals, crush collar, & bearings.

Dial measure, Prussian blue on the ring to check the pinion/ring gear heal, preload and torque.
    New input seal, old crush washer, old bearings.

didnt check heel to toe cause the side shims werent changed along with the same pinion depth shim, backlash was good and the pinion had good preload...it's in there, maybey you missed that part?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

so did you ever figure out what the "mechanic" did wrong? me, personally? I think he mixed up the installation instructions....ie he used hamburg locker instructions on a frankfurt locker unit
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Good job Jeff, I love it when you can salvage the project and put it together without any problems. Sure, it's a lot of work, but like you said, "What did you have to lose?"

You have to love winfred's attitude and encouragement about these machines, with the confidence that he provides, the project will succeed.

Looks like you did a great job! The boy is growing up fast, he'll remember these times for sure. Tell Junior, JR says "Hi"...

Good work Jeff!

Jr

Default Thanks Jr,

I will tell Sal that you said Hi, I will show him your car from the Chi town meet so he can relate.

The rear end is fine, probably last a couple hundred thousand miles now. I understand that this isn't the proper way to redo a rear end but for free and to save a posi rear end why not give it a shot? I wouldnt do something like this on the racecar that should be pumping about 1100 horsies but in a low power application like our cars why not give it a whirl. If I never did one or was clueless without a specification manual I would have tossed it, who says good things aren't free.

How is your boy doing? Are the casts off yet or is he just bringin in the women for himself?

Tell him I said Hi!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast