GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on jack stand placement

Default Advice on jack stand placement

I know this has been discussed ( Ive looked at all the posts) but I have a 91 e34 the I want to remove the diff and gearbox from.
    Problem is the Sills (rocker covers) are completely rusted away atthe factory jack points and there is no way of supporting the car at these positons. where else is safe. Rear under traling arms ? front under boxsection that runs from front to rear about 10 " in from rocker covers
    Causing damage to car is not an issue as it is being stripped for spares, just dont want to kill myself

David

Quote Originally Posted by David P
    ...Problem is the Sills (rocker covers) are completely rusted away atthe factory jack points and there is no way of supporting the car at these positons....
    David
    I'm beginning to see why so many used cars in Europe and the U.S. are so much cheaper than here in Australia. While we have a smaller population and high import tariffs (especially 10-20 years ago on luxury imported cars) we don't have 20 below winters and dreaded SALT on our roads! I don't think I've ever seen an E34 in Australia with one ounce of rust unless it has been poorly repaired after an accident. Rust! The great automobile de-valuer! Fortunately no salt on our roads thank heavens!
    Last edited by pundit; 04-09-2005 at 11:38 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    If he follows the picture exactly he won't need to use stands at all!
    Hey Shogun, how many Sumo wrestlers does it take to put an E34 on it's side?

Shogun thanks thats brilliant. A picture says a thousand words. May be I should tip mine on its side !!!. Is that an E30 ? is it the same positions for E34 ?
    David

Pundit. Think yourself lucky in sunny OZ . The car I am striping actually only has a rust problem at the jack points. I reckon the factory jack knocks the paint off the points when it it used and then its down hill all the way.

Here in Scotland the local councils spread so much salt on the roads during winter you could raise the Bonnieville flats by 12 " and you have to wash the car every freaking 3 days

David

There are lots of places in the US where cars don't get salted up. Mine's lived in the south for all of its life, with the exception of a few months spent in the frozen north earlier this year.

In the words of my buddy Brett Anderson, "This isn't a chevy!" -- these cars have very good rust protection. Some people just refuse to wash them, ever. If they did, they'd be much better off.

best, whit

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    There are lots of places in the US where cars don't get salted up. Mine's lived in the south for all of its life, with the exception of a few months spent in the frozen north earlier this year.

In the words of my buddy Brett Anderson, "This isn't a chevy!" -- these cars have very good rust protection. Some people just refuse to wash them, ever. If they did, they'd be much better off.

best, whit
    Would it be fair to assume used cars from down south are more expensive/sort after than those from the snowbound northern regions? I've noticed it's quite common for people to purchase used vehicles from interstate in the U.S. While interstate purchase do occur in OZ it's not very common.
    Last edited by pundit; 04-09-2005 at 12:01 PM.

Hey Shogun, how many Sumo wrestlers does it take to put an E34 on it's side?
    Just let one sit in front and one in the back at the same side and it will roll over.

Yeah, but the price differential is less than what you'd expect (IE ~$100 on our e34's).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast