GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: unlock,locks again immediately

Default unlock,locks again immediately

not everytime but now and then,is this related to the boot hinge wiring or is always related to a door lock actuator or microswitch.How can you track down which actuator or switch it is?
    Gone but not forgotten

Default Paul, is it unlock - locks or lock - unlocks?

For lock - unlock, in 1989 models, the only monitored locks are Driver's door and Trunk lid. You can verify it trying to lock all the doors with the passenger's door knob (it is not supposed to work).

If the problem does not show when you operate the trunk lock with the key (to the horizontal position, counter clock wise I think), or the lock does not work, it should be the trunk lock, and then probably the hinge harness (Remember Doogie's issue?).

If the problem does not show when you operate (lock) the driver's lock with the knob, or the lock does not work, it should be the driver's door lock, probably the micro switch inside the actuator.

For unlock - lock, I don't know, my car also has a estrange behavior in which some times when I stop to let a passenger out, and I unlock the doors pulling the knob or the handle, It locks again. Have not debug, nor study this as don't bother me enough!

Javier
    Last edited by Javier; 04-09-2005 at 06:27 PM.

Hey guys. My DS does the exact same thing (unlock and then quickly locks itself again, usually when I return the key to center position) occasionally, ONLY when it's cold, and when it has recently rained. This is accompanied with the DS staying locked (all other doors unlock), and it ONLY happens from the DS cylinder (all others will open it at all times). The lock actuator was replaced recently, and I think the microswitch might be the problem. But, like Javier said -- haven't found it annoying enough to troubleshoot

best, whit

Gee we all have the same problem, and the same response... (I can't be bothered quite yet...) Hahahhaaha... can't wait till one of finds out, it is what this community is all about! I'll be looking into it (with any luck) at some point... I wonder whereabouts on the boot harness the problem lies... at a movement point perhaps.... GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

yeah, I pulled the cover off of the wire wrap there a while back; mine looked fine. I think it has to do with the microswitch on the ds lock cylinder in my car -- that's the only way to explain why it happens after it's rained & it's cold (ice/water freezing something up in there).

yes javier it is only the unlock/lock at this time with the key I can only say it happens from the drivers door (with the key). The passengers knob doesnt operate the other doors but i can lock or unlock the car from the passengers door with the key,and last time i tried the lock and unlock worked from the boot......
    Gone but not forgotten

I had that problem when I first got my car. Replaced the central locking fuses under the back seat, and it hasn't happened since (2 years).

Default Yahooo! A possible fix... great going Dan...

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NZ
    I had that problem when I first got my car. Replaced the central locking fuses under the back seat, and it hasn't happened since (2 years).
    I'll give this a shot. Thanks, ANZAC brother!

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

My '90 535i has the lock/unlock issue. I've noticed that my hinge harness is a little shabby, and if I lock the boot (lock in horizontal position), then the central locking behaves itself, and works as normal.

Hmmm.... Maybe I should get that loom fixed!!

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...

Default Passenger's door knob should open all the doors.

Javier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast