GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Advice from e34ers who have a Z3

Rina120 Guest

Default Advice from e34ers who have a Z3

Hiya...

I'm thinking about trading in my e34 for a Z3 and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight. It will become my primary vehicle.

Several things are crossing my mind.
    1) it's such a tiny car. Is it really absolutely horrible in the snow and rain?
    2) I think my budget is only allowing for a 4 cylinder, but it appears that it has the same horsepower as my 525i. Any thoughts on that? Will I be horribly disappointed? Keep in mind I am currently driving an automatic, and will be switching to manual with the Z3.

3) are there any other major pros and cons? I feel only people who have an e34 AND a z3 can give me these answers.

thanks in advance

Rina120 Guest

What happened to this place? Seems like many people can't be bothered with giving advice anymore.
    Thats a shame

Default Let me see, 2hrs 45 minutes between your posts and you require a -

specialized sort of info, somebody who owns both a z3 and a e34....

Quote Originally Posted by Rina120
    What happened to this place? Seems like many people can't be bothered with giving advice anymore.
    Thats a shame

I have driven one for a while... it is a nice car and can be a daily driver with no problem. Snow? I don't care what kind of car you have or how heavy it is... all cars are useless without snow tires if you live in those snow zone. Rain? Same thing... it all depends on how good of a tire you got... all seasons pretty much sucks at everything.

Manual with small engine is very fun... I don't think you will be disappointed. I can't comment too much here... the one I drove is auto with 2.5L Inline-6.

Overall? It is a really fun car. Shop hard... see if you can get a friend who has dealer license... so you can buy those car at dealers-only auction.

Both cars are wonderfully fun. A Z3 with the top down almost feels like your on a Beemer. Our Z3 happens to be a 6 cyl, the smaller 2.5 liter, and it is fast. I can't speak about the 4 cyl, but because it's light, it's prolly pretty quick too. With the traction control, the car drives fine in the wet and in the snow (with good tires juswt like any rwd car).

I chose the 1999 becasue of the extra airbags in the doors. I wanted to keep wifey safe. CAuse I am a real tight fit. I'm 6'4" tall though. I'm really only comfortable in the car with the top down. It is a small car.

I've got to tell you though, wifey absolutely loves that car. She can't wait to drive it, top down, whenever she get the chance. I also enjoyed it thouroghly during the few time she let me drive it on a BMW road rally. It was a riot. Small and fast and fun squared.

The 4 cyl has the slighly smaller rear track too, with out the flaired out wheel wells. I'd get the BMW renown 6 with the extra features.

Good luck with your decision.
    Wifey's Z3

Hiya...

I'm thinking about trading in my e34 for a Z3 and I was hoping you guys could give me some insight. It will become my primary vehicle.

2) I think my budget is only allowing for a 4 cylinder, but it appears that it has the same horsepower as my 525i. Any thoughts on that? Will I be horribly disappointed? Keep in mind I am currently driving an automatic, and will be switching to manual with the Z3.

3) are there any other major pros and cons? I feel only people who have an e34 AND a z3 can give me these answers.

thanks in advance

Default Very stripped down car compared to E34...

No rechargeable flashlight. No room for groceries, etc. Seating position very low with your legs stretched forward, not bent much at knee.

Suggest some windshield time in the car before you buy it. I would be very unhappy with the Z3 as my daily driver. Ours is '97 2.8 auto.

Hiya...

thanks in advance