Actually, you can just use a hex key and an open ended (or crow's foot if available) wrench to tighten the strut nut. Every strut insert I've ever seen made for the e34 has had a hex female machined into it.

And also: you do *NOT* want to hold any part of the strut insert's shaft with a monkey wrench...You don't even want to touch it, as it will remove any grease on it that's on there to protect it...Sticking a monkey wrench on it is a quick and easy way to destroy it: if it's correctly installed in the mount, there won't be anything to grab onto except for the shaft.

I still think it's the sway bar links. If the collar nut were loose, you'd be able to see and hear the problem when you jacked up that side of the car.

It may also be a bent dust shield. One of mine is still badly messed up from my front end rebuild. I keep on bending it so it doesn't bang against the rotor (which it does, over some bumps) because replacing it is a pain (have to remove the hub). You'll probably be able to see evidence of it ON the rotor if this is your problem. Mine sounds like a metal "clink" when it happens. Also, (I guess because of suspension geometry) it's much harder to reproduce when the front of the car is up in the air...I guess the shield is closer to the rotor when the sucker's on the ground. But again, this happened because I pulled the strut housing, then stood it up on the dust shield (which bent it).

best, whit