GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why are buyers scared of 125000 miles for a 1994?

Default why are buyers scared of 125000 miles for a 1994?

I have been advertising my 540i, impeccable mechanically and very clean body, except a few rust start spots on the lower doors.
    I have had about 5 calls in the last few days and each one says goodbye after I tell them it has 200,000 kilometers (125k miles) - one guy today just hung up on me!
    So what can I do to get around this...?
    I assume they are ignorant fools who know little about a BMW and it's durability, I also point out they are highway miles, all service was done at the best dealer in town and NO expense was ever spared .... - yet they still choke on the mileage.
    any selling wisdom is appreciated!
    I love the car but I would really like to drop 2 cylinders and save some $$!!!
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

everybody always claims highway mileage. I just dont believe it.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

youll have to wait til someone comes along and knows that miles dont mean squat on our cars.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I'll buy it...for the right price

Where are you in Canada? (I'm assuming that's where you are given the whole KM's bit)

best, whit

How much and where? I bought this 535iM 1989 mint condition @ 220,000KM for only $4800 all fees in

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkman540i
    I have been advertising my 540i, impeccable mechanically and very clean body, except a few rust start spots on the lower doors.
    I have had about 5 calls in the last few days and each one says goodbye after I tell them it has 200,000 kilometers (125k miles) - one guy today just hung up on me!
    So what can I do to get around this...?
    I assume they are ignorant fools who know little about a BMW and it's durability, I also point out they are highway miles, all service was done at the best dealer in town and NO expense was ever spared .... - yet they still choke on the mileage.
    any selling wisdom is appreciated!
    I love the car but I would really like to drop 2 cylinders and save some $$!!!
    May be they are not scared on milage but milage/price combination? How do you know.

BTW it seems to me that you did not put milage in your add. Put both, price and milage, and than you will receive calls from the poeple who will figure out by themsefs that they realy want car with 125000Miles on it.

u could try chaging out the cluster
    for a lower mileage one heheheh
    no don't do that =]

Default "Always quote a price comparison before quoting a price"

From my salesman days, always quote a comparison before quoting a price. Goes for mileage too:

buyer: "What mileage does it have on it?"
    Sharkman: "The average mileage for a car this age is a little over 220,000 km. I correspond with BMW owners everyday who have the same engine with over 400,000 km. This one only has 200,000 km, so it's below average and still has at least another 200,000 km left in it if you continue to take care of it as well as I have."

Compare that to:

buyer: "What mileage does it have on it?"
    Sharkman: "Well, 200,000 km."

Try that. It's all in the frame of reference. Truth is (as we all know) 200,000 km is just to the point where all the breakable things have now been replaced, and it's ready to go another 200,000. People new to BMW just aren't hip to how much better these things are than the common car.
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

Possibly it's the slushbox. I wouldn't be wary of the engine or general mechanicals, but most slushies are prone to failure at higher mileages and are very expensive to sort. With manuals they very seldom break unless abused, although the clutch can wear out but it's relatively cheap and easy to replace compared to the box. Also easy to check if it's nearing the end of its life.

I don't have a problem with 200k miles on a car with good reliability reputation and a manual box, but over 150k miles on a slushy and I'd be having serious doubts. So it's convenient I hate the driving experience of slushies anyway

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast