GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze 12

Default Freeze 12

My AC was not cooling well, and my mechanic topped it with one can of Freeze 12, witch only solved the problem momentarly. Now I am being told by a AC shop that my AC is contaminated, and they need to evacuate / flush it and add 4 lbs of R12 (USD 300 !), add the dye and proceed to determine were the leak is. All my fittings are for R 12, so I am assuming the car originally had R 12.

My 92 535i has 130,000 mi, and had compressor/drier/expansion valve replaced by a BMW local dealer at 40,000 mi. in 1996 (I live in Houston – very hot and humid). I checked the label in the compressor : Seiko Seikei – R 134 compatible !

The question is this Freeze 12. To save money, could I convert it 100% freeze 12 ? Recharge the system, add the dye, and proceed to find the leak ? I have read much about the problems this Freeze 12 is causing AC shops (contaminating their recovery systems), but will it work properly in my car.

The other alternative is to do a R 134 conversion (drain and fill compressor + change drier fittings, etc) and save on the long run on the lower cost R 134, but have a hotter car interior.

I am planning to keep the car for another 6 months. Thanks in advance for advice.

http://www.koalamotorsport.com/tech/misc/ac.htm

Another six months?!?!?!!!

I'm speechless...

I am looking at the same thing too.

I plan to convert to R134. My system has a leak and will need a few parts replaced.
    So, since i will need to replace the dryer/receiver anyway. I might as well go all the way and convert.

The shop in may area will evacuate and test for leaks with nitrogen and a dye, then after I replace the leaky parts they will test it, evacute and charge with gas, oil and more dye.

I did this a while back on my wifes car and it cost me $360.00 in parts and $80.00 at the shop. still running frosty!

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

at the moment r134 is almost as expensive as r12 and i have yet to discover the reason, the reports i am getting is it's unlikely to drop in price back to being reasonable. i guess they figure that 134 has been around 11 years now people have forgotten r12 (we have a 240 volvo at the shop now that we are going to convert back to r12, 90 and older 240s really suck on 134 and now price aint the issue it was) the big problem with most of the blended freon replacments is they use incompatable with flexable line freons like r22 (what your house probably uses) that normally run in soldered metal lines, the molucules of some are small enough that they pass through even barrier hoses resulting in a diluted blend, r22 works great while it's in there, just not for long, the other problem with blends is those of us with recycling machines also have identifiers and will do nothing but dump/flush and fill with clean freon a contaminated system. another fun one is getto shops will use propane as freon
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Yeah, Brett told me that he picked up ~ 100 pounds of R134 at the local Costco recently, at a price that was better than whatever the market is floating at these days. It's practically more economical for me to refill my system as R12 than to change it...But seeing as how it hasn't been pressurized in a LONG time, I'd be replacing all of the components anyways -- it almost makes more sense to just pull the A/C out of the car

about a year ago in may (may 2004), i took my canadian uncle who was in town (florida) to a discount auto parts having a "grand re-opening sale", where he purchased 2 cans of discount auto parts r134a for $5 ( i also got a bosch wiper for the e34 for $7). i went to the same discount last weekend to get a can of 134 for my mother's 1999 ford taurus....the discount brand was $10.22, the DuPont was 10.69, the leakdetector can was an ungodly amount. the cheapest autozone had their housebrand for was $12.99, which the manager said unfortunately was the "market price". autozone also suddenly stopped keeping the r134, freeze 12 and such in front of the counter. i wonder why they would have to do such a thing in florida, with our wonderfully nasty-hot weather
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default Propane sounds good!

I bet it is real easy to find the leaks...

especially if it is the exchanger

Crispy Critters

Default Got off cheap...so far

Stoped by the A/C shop this morning to get the system tested out, since it is flat.

I was planning on having to replace the drier, maybe the condenser, a line or two and some O-rings. But I got a call a few hours later "can't find a leak, so we filled it up with gas, oil and dye".

The owner said that it still may have a very slow leak, and it will show up much later when the dye comes out.....that's when it will start getting expensive! But unitil then....it's frosty

Default a/c supplies

I found this guy was great to do business with -

http://stores.ebay.com/frosty-freeze...QQftidZ2QQtZkm

He even sent me a needed adapter for free after I purchased a recharge kit from him. One of the better e-bay merchants I have come across, for sure.

No affiliation, just thought I'd pass it on.

look up refrigerant 409a...for R-12 applications it's interesting. did a few, worked good.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast