GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: ETK help needed -- bleeder screw

Default ETK help needed -- bleeder screw

Damn it. Just got done swapping the coolant in the car and have been doing a little air bleeding the last 2 short trips (home is about 8 minutes from the office). So this morning I pull in and the coolant temp is just fine after the drive, but I figure, heck, I'll see if there's any last air in the system since we'll be making a long (5 hour) drive this weekend and don't want any trouble to pop up.

So I gently twist the bleed screw, and to my joy, all the air has finally been bled out. Yea!

And then when I go to screw the bleed screw back in, the top twists right off the damn thing and coolant sprays everywhere. Boo.

So now I need to find a bleed screw, get it at lunchtime (from the stealer, I bet), and do a little delicate surgery to extract the core of the bleedscrew that's still in the housing.

Long story short, anybody with an ETK handy that can give me the BMW part number for the bleed screw? Thanks.

VENT SCREW 17111712788 Make sure this is the one, #8:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...99&hg=17&fg=05
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

there is an only etk at www.realoem.com for future reference but...
    And i think it is number 17111712788, but check it out for yourself in the picture

Default yeah, add www.realoem.com/bmw to your favorites folder...

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    there is an only etk at www.realoem.com for future reference but...
    And i think it is number 17111712788, but check it out for yourself in the picture
    ...and commit it to memory...that way, you'll have access to the ETK parts database anytime you have access to a computer linked to the internet (like if you're out of town etc).
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

Thanks for the help guys -- and the link. That's awesome! Definitely going on the bookmark list and, more importantly, in the old noggin.

That was exactly the part. Of course, that $1.88 part (realoem.com price) was $5.09 at the stealer! But it's not like I could wait around for shipping, etc.

Delicate outpatient surgery was required to extract the bad guy. Sprayed in a tiny bit of teflon lubricant to ease the extraction. Inserted a big knife to start it along the way, then finished its removal with a very small flathead screwdriver. Probably the only time that driver has been any use at all, but I'll never speak ill of it again.

Here's a photo of the offending bleed screw. Sorry the photo's not better quality, the camera on my phone is the only digital one I have at the office. Cheers, guys, and thanks for the super-quick response.

Mulry
    Last edited by pmulry; 04-05-2005 at 12:07 PM. Reason: (fix photo link)

the prices at the real oem place arent anything yet, you cant even order from there yet. thats where you find parts numbers and then order from somewhere else, most likly BMAauto
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by pmulry
    Damn it. Just got done swapping the coolant in the car and have been doing a little air bleeding the last 2 short trips (home is about 8 minutes from the office). So this morning I pull in and the coolant temp is just fine after the drive, but I figure, heck, I'll see if there's any last air in the system since we'll be making a long (5 hour) drive this weekend and don't want any trouble to pop up.

So I gently twist the bleed screw, and to my joy, all the air has finally been bled out. Yea!

And then when I go to screw the bleed screw back in, the top twists right off the damn thing and coolant sprays everywhere. Boo.

So now I need to find a bleed screw, get it at lunchtime (from the stealer, I bet), and do a little delicate surgery to extract the core of the bleedscrew that's still in the housing.

Long story short, anybody with an ETK handy that can give me the BMW part number for the bleed screw? Thanks.
    Just had the same DAMN thing happen to me. Only problem is it is Sat. and I can't find anyone open in Tampa area that has this part. Well I guess she is out of commission until Mon. Just like the time I blew the fusable link on the weekend, $2.00 parts will Kill your E34!!!
    CK1995
    E34 525i M20 1990
    E36 323is 1998

For removing the core of the screw that's broken off, I found the best way was actually using a sharp knife. The point & edge would sit in the cracked plastic and then the edge could get a good bite in the plastic as I turned it out. It wasn't really very difficult to do, just one of those things that you only get to do once

Of course, then 2 months later my radiator cracked and needed to be replaced anyway Oh well, that's life, right?

Cheers and good luck.

www.realoem.com along with the last 7 digits of my VIN is one of the best tools. I practically use it every day.

Ralph Mendoza Jr. - Long Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by pmulry
    For removing the core of the screw that's broken off, I found the best way was actually using a sharp knife. The point & edge would sit in the cracked plastic and then the edge could get a good bite in the plastic as I turned it out. It wasn't really very difficult to do, just one of those things that you only get to do once

Of course, then 2 months later my radiator cracked and needed to be replaced anyway Oh well, that's life, right?

Cheers and good luck.
    Thanks for the tip but, mine is proving to be a real !*@#$. Tried that method and wouldn't turn,(like an idiot I must have over-tightened for good seal), just kept stripping more plastic away. Next I tried a screw extractor which has to be drilled In. Mistake #2, as I was delicately drilling went too far, right through screw which I'm sure has let little pieces of plastic into cooling system. Next I inserted extractor and when I went to turn it starts to chip because the vent screw is in so tightly it won't budge. At this point I decieded I need a beer and a brake, not sure what I will try next.
    CK1995
    E34 525i M20 1990
    E36 323is 1998