GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E34:Change to non-power steering rack

my only intention is to keep things simple. power steering has the potential to leak hence my reasoning to remove it.

so back to my original question: what is the best way to achieve manual steering on an e34 ?

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    my only intention is to keep things simple. power steering has the potential to leak hence my reasoning to remove it...
    Engines also have the potential to leak along with any component that contains any kind of fluid, gas or anything else. So after your get rid of you 'potentially leaky' power steering, you will have to remove your 'potentially leaky' engine, transmission, differential, radiator, water pump, aircon etc.
    In fact I bet you already have a leak, minor or not, from somewhere other than your power steering.

If you want to keep things really simple, 'simply' sell your car and walk.

Sorry, but your rationality is not rational.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

P/S is highly reliable. The whole car is designed to employ it... its a safety feature, not a limitation.

This thread is ridiculous... our forum moderator should delete it.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by ktteoh
    my only intention is to keep things simple. power steering has the potential to leak hence my reasoning to remove it.
    Uhh..
    There are a lot of cars I could understand doing this "for the sake of making it simple" - but, I'm sorry, you want to go to manual steering on a nearly 4,000lb sedan... because it could leak? There are a ton of more potentially problematic excesses of complexity on this car than the (simple and traditional) power steering.

We don't have a good answer because it hasn't been done. It hasn't been done because it's not practical.

Just remeove the ps drive belt and try it. We have been running e30 that way and it is fine. Not good to tuen wheel when not moving anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene in NC
    Just remeove the ps drive belt and try it. We have been running e30 that way and it is fine. Not good to tuen wheel when not moving anyway.
    But P.S. is not designed to be run without hydraulic pressure!
    Can we please have this thread deleted before someone tries the above and kills themselves or worse.. someone else!! - FMOFO's!!

While we're at it lets start a thread on how to cut coils to lower your car and remove the bump stop rubbers - "Way to go man!!"
    Last edited by pundit; 04-08-2005 at 10:20 PM.

a e30 has a rack and is not a absolute bitch to turn without power, e34 has a box and i don't beleave it can handle the pressures of being operated without boost without wearing out the top end of the box (the part that turns the part that's powered) quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Gene in NC
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

nah man, cutting em takes too long, heat em up with a torch i've sold many sets of springs for cars that had the springs totally removed and hunks of wood put in to support the car at the desired level, kinda gives you a warm and fuzzy fealing that **** like that is on the road with you and yours don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by pundit
    While we're at it lets start a thread on how to cut coils to lower your car and remove the bump stop rubbers - "Way to go man!!"
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    nah man, cutting em takes too long, heat em up with a torch i've sold many sets of springs for cars that had the springs totally removed and hunks of wood put in to support the car at the desired level, kinda gives you a warm and fuzzy fealing that **** like that is on the road with you and yours don't it?
    "Way to go bro!! On da ground my man!! I mean down 'n' dirty... in da dirt yeah!! Can't wait 'til I get my 24" chrome rims with 325/5/24 rubber band slicks. Yeah street legal... the guy that sold them to me said they were!"

"Power steering? Now that's for girlie men. Gimme a few weeks and I'll let you feel my biceps. Beats them home ab fab excercise thingamegoos."

BTW - I'm getting my pimpmobile tinted all round. Headlights, tailights, stoplight, license plate light, glovebox light and all the glass. It'll be so damn black no mofo will be able to see in while my woman shifts my stick... and so black that I won't be able to see out. But **** man at least the pimpmobile will rock da beat. Yo Bro!!"
    Last edited by pundit; 04-08-2005 at 10:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12