GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: M50 will not start

Default M50 will not start

Yay, it started, just added a couple teaspoons of gear oil and it cranked right up, now im hunting idle. The car won't idle at all, if i let it go below 1500rpm the car dies. Is this just still not a proper compression seal and i just need to keep it running to warm it up, or is this something else i need to look for, its not like a vacuum leak, it doesnt try to rebound or idle at all it just dies, im guessing not enough compression at low rpms yet. Maybe some mystery oil at this point would be helpful, maybe in the oil and gas, and suggestions about this or possibel other probelms to get it running smooth. Also it is billowing wight smoke out of the back, im guessing moisture burning off. Well im glad, at least it starts.

EDIT: And im getting no engine codes at all, just good 'ol 1444
    Last edited by bjl4776; 04-06-2005 at 07:31 PM.

Default Fuel and fire besides good sync is all you need!

So there should be some presumptions in your observations. Check them all over.

Javier

What do the plugs look like after you crank the engine? What kind of compression numbers were you getting ?

Did you try squirting some oil into the cylinders before cranking ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

The plugs look like they are wet with gas, with some blackness that is carbon that is washing off of the walls since the gas is just soaking and not igniting. Like I said havent got the compression test, havent been able to get the guage yet, but that is on my list, but i doubt that the headgasket is bad ebough to cause the engine not to start.

Pull out your plugs.. Let the Car sit overnight with the spark plugs out... Put two table spoons of motor oil in each cylinder... Put in a fresh set of spark plugs...Crank the engine until it starts.

See this a lot in M50 motors. You wash all the oil of the rings - your motor has no compression right now.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Thanks, im going to have to give that a whirl, it makes perfect sense with the car sitting for so long.

I think I'd try a $3 can of starting fluid.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    Thanks, im going to have to give that a whirl, it makes perfect sense with the car sitting for so long.
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Default Not on a car with a hotwire mass air flow sensor or a hot film mass air flow

sensor, its a no no on them... can kill the sensor or in the case of the hotwire it can ignite at the wire, if your going to use starting fluid you'll have to come up with a way to put it way downstream of the mass air flow sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    I think I'd try a $3 can of starting fluid.

Paul Shovestul

Default I would put a fuel pressure gauge on it and make sure you have adequate pressure, the

injectors can squirt but if the pressures too low it won't start but it will act like its just about to start.

Quote Originally Posted by bjl4776
    I know iv posted on this before but im going f@#$ing trying to figure out wtf is up before i break down and have my car towed to shop. Ok so here I go. The car has been sitting for at least 3.5 years. So upto this point i have drained the fuel tank, added new gas, changed fuel filter, oil and filter, spark plugs, and radiator. When i turn the engine over I get spark on all six cylinders as well as fuel on all six cylinders (the injectors are squirting). The cars turns over healthy and doesnt make any noises that is shouldnt be except for not starting. When i turn it over it feels like it is about to catch, but it won't. I am also only getting the 1444 code, so no problems there. I also changed over the coils from another working engine to see if that is the probelm and it wasn't. The only other test i havent performormed is a compreesion test, but i am getting compression, and i know these motors will at least run with bad compression, just not well. Spring is here and i need to get in a bimmer asap, driving a caravan around in this weather is killing me

Default Excuse my ignorance but, how do you know ....

an injector squirts? A boroscope? Any trick I don't know about?

Would like to, as some time ago, read in the forum to try to "sense" the clicking at the injectors to be sure they are working (to discard camshaft issues), which in conjunction with proper fuel pressure would also discard fuel issues, but now this simply confuses me.

Javier

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast