GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Replacing Center Brake Light Bulb

Default Replacing Center Brake Light Bulb

I can't find any information on how to do this. What bulb do I need, and how do I access it (E34)?

I'm getting the "1 BRAKE LIGHT" message and my center brake light does not illuminate.

I think those get accessed from the trunk, didnt look yet though.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Anyone have the info? Should I take some pics once I find out how to do this, since it appears it has not been documented. Maybe something for bmwe34.net?

Open up the trunk and look up to where the bottom of the 3rd brake light should be. You'll see a socket that will come out with a twist.
    Replace bulb and re install.

Easy as pie.

Quote Originally Posted by G-man
    Open up the trunk and look up to where the bottom of the 3rd brake light should be. You'll see a socket that will come out with a twist.
    Replace bulb and re install.

Easy as pie.
    What type of bulb is this, and should I get it from the stealer or from another shop for a cheaper price?

It is not that difficult to remove it. Just see for yourselves. Twist the socket and you can see the bulb.
    Then you know if you can buy it at the next gas station or from the dealer.
    If you could fill out your personal profile a bit more then I could tell you if you get it somewhere else. Even do not know in which country you live.
    Last edited by shogun; 12-10-2005 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by azzurribaggio
    What type of bulb is this, and should I get it from the stealer or from another shop for a cheaper price?
    TIP: the online parts database is a great resource for part numbers and diagrams...also great for deconstructing how things go together etc...

Fro example...here is the diagram for the rear brake lights...see item #16 for the 3rd rear brake light: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...08&hg=63&fg=20

And like Shogun wrote...the more info you supply about your car and where you are...it helps us to help you better. The e34 has multilple models and they all change year from year...from continent to continent etc.
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

1056 bulb

Default What about replacing with a DIFFERENT bulb

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    1056 bulb
    I know Shogun has linked to a site that sells LED bulb replacements. What I'm wondering is the process for replacing the standard brake light with an LED bulb for a quicker brighter response.

If you install an LED there, you will get a check control warning, as the third brake light is included in the LKM modus.
    But I can show you a link to Alex in Germany. He has installed Lumileds, which are much brighter than normal LED's but also very expensive. And as resistor he still keeps the orginial bulb installed. So one normal bulb and some LED. That comes like a flash, first the LED's and then the normal Bulb

http://www.lxr.de/BMW/tipps-top/3bremsl/3bremsl.html