GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Injector cleaner - why use it before an oil change?

Default Fuel Injector cleaner - why use it before an oil change?

It's time for an oil change, in an eariler post Regal 632 recommended putting a fuel injector cleaner juest before I did the oil change, i think becasue it contamainted the oil. I don't know anything about fuel injector cleaners, A local mechanic suggested that you could put it in at any time?

how often should then be used and when?

One theory is they are very high in detergents(or whatever cleans the crap from the injectors) which cant be good for the oil......hence the suggestion to use it just before an oil change/service.
    Gone but not forgotten

i wouldnt take any of that so seriosly kriss
    but yes put it in before oil change

Default because a lot of the solvents and detergents that are

in the injector cleaner end up going past the rings and diluting the oil in the crankcase to some degree. alot of components of injector cleaner are designed to burn well , they are designed to clean deposits and since they don't burn so well thats how they end up going past the rings into the crankcase. If you read the instructions for most of the better injector cleaners they tell you right on the can or bottle to run it through on the last tank of gas before you do an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    It's time for an oil change, in an eariler post Regal 632 recommended putting a fuel injector cleaner juest before I did the oil change, i think becasue it contamainted the oil. I don't know anything about fuel injector cleaners, A local mechanic suggested that you could put it in at any time?

how often should then be used and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    One theory is they are very high in detergents(or whatever cleans the crap from the injectors) which cant be good for the oil......hence the suggestion to use it just before an oil change/service.
    if you go to www.bobistheoilguy.com, there's a guy there with surname Dyson, i think. he gets paid a few bucks to analyze people's oil analyses when they get them back. he says that there are only about two cleaners that don't affect oil analyses, ie, don't dilute or stay in oil solution to change the properties of the oil, one of which is techron (when used ONCE in the manner prescribed) the other i forget. the fact that they don't impact oil DOESN't mean that they are the most powerful/best made (ie, bg44k does a number on oil), it just means they end up the least in the oil.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default I would venture to guess its just the opposite, the ones with the

best solvents and detergents to remove deposits are most likely to end up
    in your crankcase, as you indicated with bg44. All the on car injector cleaners that i use advise you to change the oil afterwards. The ones i use most commonly with my fuel injector cleaner are made by bg, otc, and 3m and they all have that on the instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan roopnarine
    if you go to www.bobistheoilguy.com, there's a guy there with surname Dyson, i think. he gets paid a few bucks to analyze people's oil analyses when they get them back. he says that there are only about two cleaners that don't affect oil analyses, ie, don't dilute or stay in oil solution to change the properties of the oil, one of which is techron (when used ONCE in the manner prescribed) the other i forget. the fact that they don't impact oil DOESN't mean that they are the most powerful/best made (ie, bg44k does a number on oil), it just means they end up the least in the oil.

So is it bad for me to be using Shell V-Power all the time?
    Supposedly it cleans the engine and fuel injectors and such...

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    best solvents and detergents to remove deposits are most likely to end up
    in your crankcase, as you indicated with bg44. All the on car injector cleaners that i use advise you to change the oil afterwards. The ones i use most commonly with my fuel injector cleaner are made by bg, otc, and 3m and they all have that on the instructions.
    I've been running about 10 oz of Berryman Chemtool in about the last half-tank on my beater Kia before an oil change, and RIGHT before, running about 4-6 oz of it in the motor itself, idle for 5 minutes, and change the oil.

I've never seen blacker oil in my life...! Must be cleaning out some serious sludge...

Default No, it won't harm it, because even at the concentration that

Shell claims (5 times the minimum amount required by the government standards) you're still pretty low and not nearly the amount as when you dump a can of bg44k in the gas tank or when you run a car on straight bg cleaner to clean the injectors.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbyB
    So is it bad for me to be using Shell V-Power all the time?
    Supposedly it cleans the engine and fuel injectors and such...

Default Fuel cleaners...

There are cleaning agents in the petrol we buy too.

Eventually it contaminates our oil along with many other things. That's one of the main reasons we change our oil. Run your car on 25% cleaner and you'd probably need to change it every time you fill her up

I err on the side of caution and only do it before the oil change, or even better- rip the injectors out and clean em by hand- soak them in carburettor or injector cleaner overnight.

It's not that hard to remove them all, just the petrol spills out until the pressure drops off (be sure not to do it hot, spitting petrol is a fire hazard) and don't let it get in your eye as it is want to do when removing the feed lines).

Suggest you get a set of new o-rings beforehand- there are kits with pintle caps on ebay for US$20.

GP
    Last edited by genphreak; 04-05-2005 at 12:00 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast