GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is "EML"?

Default What is "EML"?

Some engine parts are noted as 'with EML' or 'not with EML' and considerable differences in cost. Like the throttle body is about $400 non-EML and $1100 with EML. Whatever it is it must be good for that kind of dough. So what is EML?

Not entirely sure of the details, but is a drive by wire type system that is integrated with the ABS and ASC systems. If the ASC is active, the computer tells the EML to back off on the gas (basically).

I have this on my car and it periodically acts up in cold weather.
    01 740i sport
    92 535i
    92 525 touring
    88 325ic

I agree iwth what TTG's said - it's an early DBW system. Even though you may have an EML light on your dash (which may get stuck and stay on, as happened in my case), the 89 535 doesn't have it (actually, I don't think any e34 535 had it -- perhaps the later years...Javier would know).

best, whit

Definitely mine doesn't have it, but there must have been some 535s that did since the parts show up in searches for this model. The DBW explanation makes perfect sense. I suspected it was something like that since the throttle body example I cited was obviously equipped with some kind of actuator that the standard TB doesn't have. I feel sorry for anyone having to replace FI-related parts in their EML equipped car. Their credit card's gonna feel the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell
    I agree iwth what TTG's said - it's an early DBW system. Even though you may have an EML light on your dash (which may get stuck and stay on, as happened in my case), the 89 535 doesn't have it (actually, I don't think any e34 535 had it -- perhaps the later years...Javier would know).

best, whit
    My '90 535iA's owners handbook refers to it, though it's not fitted to my E34. As stated it is a drive-by-wire device to enable automatic throttle control when traction control is engaged. An EML indictor lamp is fitted to my instrument cluster (minus globe). - Cheers pundit

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

What models did have it? My '95 540 doesn't, as it has a kinda second throttle controlled by cable to reduce power via ASC. Seems strange that this was the last of the E34 and also the most up to date engine design, yet some of the other models have it.

I'm glad I don't have it though

You really do not know what EML is? I cannot believe.

No, I knew what it was, I just posted the question to see if you knew.

Default EML Electronic Throttle Control, gas pedal have ...

a position sensor and the throttle has a motor actuator (Fly by wire is a god analogy). EML is used in 535i.

All cars with ASC have some sort of electronic throttle control, to control throttle when ASC is in function. Electronic operation of gas pedal is not there though.

Javier

Edit: It is optional with ASC and not all 535i have it, mine doesn't.
    Last edited by Javier; 04-03-2005 at 08:34 AM.

I can confirm that some e34 535 cars have it. My '92 535i sport manual does have it, along with the ASC system. It also has an ASC disable switch.

The EML throttle negates the need for a seperate idle speed control valve, as the throttle takes on the idle control function too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast