GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: HELP: central lock non-function and ABS on

Default HELP: central lock non-function and ABS on

Hi,

it seems the central locking is not working from either locking from right door,
    left door or boot.

I have hecked all fuses in the fuse box as well as fuses under the rear seat, all are fine.

What else i should diagnose?

Also my ABS light is "on" on the instrument cluster, what could be the cause?

regards,
    Rahman in Kuala Lumpur,
    1988 520i M20B20
    1988 730i M30B30
    1982 323/6 M20B23
    1980 316
    1984 GPZ550

Quote Originally Posted by nsbone_1988_520i
    Hi,

it seems the central locking is not working from either locking from right door,
    left door or boot.

I have hecked all fuses in the fuse box as well as fuses under the rear seat, all are fine.

What else i should diagnose?

Also my ABS light is "on" on the instrument cluster, what could be the cause?

regards,
    Sometimes fuses look fine but are actully bad - try replacing them. The ABS light could be triggered by any of the following, among other things:

* removal of the steering wheel without disconnecting battery -ve terminal.
    * faulty ABS sensor(s) - check voltage
    * faulty wires connecting ABS sensors with ABS controller - check resistance
    * faulty ABS controller or hydraulic unit - download fault codes

Any BMW dealer/service centre can reset the ABS lights. You could do it yourself if you have the ABS reset tool

There is a typical problem regarding the locking (and the lights ) of the trunk. You give no details, so here is what I have come across on this forum:

By the left hinge that holds the trunk there is a batch of wires going to the rear lights, license plate lights etc. and the trunk lock. These cables look ok until you remove the black tape covering them. Then you will (usually) find the cables mashed to pieces right where the hinge moves relative to the rest of the car. You will have to cut out the broken parts of the wires and replace with new wire.

There are a few posts atound here which explain this in more detail.
    Last edited by NielsGalan; 04-02-2005 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nzimiro
    Sometimes fuses look fine but are actully bad - try replacing them. The ABS light could be triggered by any of the following, among other things:

* removal of the steering wheel without disconnecting battery -ve terminal.
    * faulty ABS sensor(s) - check voltage
    * faulty wires connecting ABS sensors with ABS controller - check resistance
    * faulty ABS controller or hydraulic unit - download fault codes

Any BMW dealer/service centre can reset the ABS lights. You could do it yourself if you have the ABS reset tool
    Checked with multimeter and replaced some suspect fuses, but central locking still refused to work. I am attempting the locking mechanism from driver's door side. Still trying, damn it's difficult, following Johan/Sean's page but it only looks easy...PITA.

Any other suggestions?

thanks in advance,
    rahman
    Rahman in Kuala Lumpur,
    1988 520i M20B20
    1988 730i M30B30
    1982 323/6 M20B23
    1980 316
    1984 GPZ550

Default If you elaborate a little bit more in the failure, ...

may be we can help. Not working is quite vague. You have 5 to 6 ways to operate the central locking, front doors knobs (and indoor handles), front doors keyholes, trunk lid keyhole, and keyless. Not all work the same way, knowing behavior for every operating alternative will help diagnose the fault.

Javier

Quote Originally Posted by Javier
    may be we can help. Not working is quite vague. You have 5 to 6 ways to operate the central locking, front doors knobs (and indoor handles), front doors keyholes, trunk lid keyhole, and keyless. Not all work the same way, knowing behavior for every operating alternative will help diagnose the fault.

Javier
    Hi Javier,

THe car doesn't have keyless. Otherwise all other ways don't work. (front doors knobs (and indoor handles), front doors keyholes, trunk lid keyhole). Checked all fuses are fine and replaced anyway some of suspect ones. worst case it could be the central locking module under rear seat???

I am attempting to take out the microswithc which might be stucked at dealock or lock position...
    Rahman in Kuala Lumpur,
    1988 520i M20B20
    1988 730i M30B30
    1982 323/6 M20B23
    1980 316
    1984 GPZ550

Default Any other things not working? Wipers? Windows? ...

Roof? Interior lights?

Not working means nothing at all to me, Am I right?

Guess though that you can lock/unlock mechanically each door/trunk by key or manually. What about the gas filling port door? Any other issues?

Do you, at least, hear clicking relays at Relay Module, under the rear seat, besides General Module.

Javier

Roof? Interior lights?

Not working means nothing at all to me, Am I right?

Guess though that you can lock/unlock mechanically each door/trunk by key or manually. What about the gas filling port door? Any other issues?

Do you, at least, hear clicking relays at Relay Module, under the rear seat, besides General Module.

Javier
    Hi Javier,
    Thanks for responding.

Not working means= no response/clicking relays if i turn my keylock using key either locking or unlocking or doublelocking. i had forced gas filling door open using screw driver and taken out the rubber latch.

I can lock from the driver side, but i can't unlock using the "battery-flat" method (something is really wrong).

I hope u get what i mean???

thanks again..
    rahman
    Rahman in Kuala Lumpur,
    1988 520i M20B20
    1988 730i M30B30
    1982 323/6 M20B23
    1980 316
    1984 GPZ550

Default What about the windows, or are they manual? ..

Interior lights? I just can not found reasons for that general failure in the central locking having no issues at all in other GM related functions.

In this sentence, do you mean manually?

I can lock from the driver side,

Javier

Interior lights? I just can not found reasons for that general failure in the central locking having no issues at all in other GM related functions.

In this sentence, do you mean manually?

I can lock from the driver side,

Javier
    Manual lock from driver side is possible. But my manual unlock is not working. It is working on my other car. Central light is working...

i have to get to the microswitch, but it's very difficult (although Johan/Sean's Page make it seems so easy). I wont' give up though...

BTW interior lights is also working...

is e32 central lock module under the rear seat the same as e34? can i interchange to see if that's the problem?

rahman
    Rahman in Kuala Lumpur,
    1988 520i M20B20
    1988 730i M30B30
    1982 323/6 M20B23
    1980 316
    1984 GPZ550