GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Vanos not working

Default Vanos not working

I have installed the US M3 cams which i got from Turner Motorsport into my M50 engine. Have checked with the diagnostic tool (Modic3), that the Vanos is not working. Have also check the cam timing which is perfectly fine and in fact went to test the cam setting using the test function available in the Modic3.

What are the possible causes?? Thanks!

the only things i can think of are the wire to the solonoid got dammaged or the spring plates and other bits were not put back in the right order on the front of the cam, two position vanos is pretty simple it's just a piston and a solonoid
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

My mechanic actually swapped a new Vanos unit in there. But its still not working.

And the Modic3 actually had the capability to test the vanos unit. So when the signal was sent to from the Modic to the ECU and hence the vanos unit, the cams timing was retarded and hence showed the timing was okie. I have check the wire connecting to the vanos unit and it seemed okie to me.

And all this happened after I installed the M3 cams.

i had a guy on the board here that got some head work done and the car ran bad right after the work but great before, he almost didn't want to hear that i thought it was out of time but after several days of telling him to get it checked, he did, and sure enough it was out. if it was running good before and bad now double check all work done, theres a high chance that theres something that didn't quite make it through the operation, as in a pinched/busted wire improper assembly or out of adjustment, i no longer trust outside mechanics diagnoses as i've caught several big screw ups, i am loosing count of the head jobs i've saved people from needing to have done due to a small problem, my favorite, clogged pisser line to coolent tank, easy fix requiers no parts and charge em a half hour labor instead of $500-1500 for a head job
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Thanks Winfred, will try to take another look at it.