GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Will an aftermarket HU (Alpine CDA-9847) Work with factory amp??

Default Will an aftermarket HU (Alpine CDA-9847) Work with factory amp??

Hello, I had to bring this question those more knowledgeable of the subject.. unforatenly that means you guys

I have a 1990 535i that has the factory amplifier and and 11(?) speaker sound system.. The guy I just spoke with said I will need to do some rewiring and bypass the factory amplifier completely.. because the new Head Unit has an internal amplifier. sound legit?

I am looking at an Alpine CDA-9847,

CDA-9847

Default Mine had no rewiring needed...

...and I have the Clarion DXZ645MP and it plugged in perfectly into the factory amp and sounds fine for now. Try to find another installer who is willing to do it right without all the rewiring they want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by an535i
    Hello, I had to bring this question those more knowledgeable of the subject.. unforatenly that means you guys

I have a 1990 535i that has the factory amplifier and and 11(?) speaker sound system.. The guy I just spoke with said I will need to do some rewiring and bypass the factory amplifier completely.. because the new Head Unit has an internal amplifier. sound legit?

I am looking at an Alpine CDA-9847,

CDA-9847

The common ground in the stock setup may pose a problem. I can't recall how it works with Alpines, but most HU require a discrete ground for each speaker. This only applies when using line level (speaker) outs, so if you're going to hook up to an amp via RCAs, you should be fine. Alternatively, you could get an adaptor -- we discussed this a few weeks ago in respect to Bondheli's install, and I think it was Mobius who brought it up, along with a link to Crutchfield's site to buy it.

I would not personally run this kind of headunit through the stock amp; perhaps someone who already has that particular unit installed can give a definitive yea or ne.

best, whit

I have an Alpine CDA-7894 wired using the factory amp and it sounds great... It also has the amBer lights to mach the dash and plays MP3s. Take a look at this one too...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-HI85FkB...p?I=500CDA7894

Bryan
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

I just put in a $100 eclipse 4 x 20 watt headunit and it sounds great. I was told at circuit city that they needed to do a rewire too for $100, but stock wireing worked fine. I took a gamble and left the negative wires disconnected, and it worked for me, but lowell and Mobius know what they are talking about and you might want to try the floating ground box on a higher $$ unit. See links:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...3509#post63509

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...near#post65704
    Last edited by bondheli; 03-30-2005 at 10:55 PM.

sound systems own me. When im ready to do something, im coming to you guys!

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip