GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Satellite Radio

Default Satellite Radio

My nephew pulled up tonight in a (gulp) new 2004 Cadilac he had rented... other then a horrendous amount of "pimp" lighting... it had the XM satellite radio system installed... pretty amazing sound...
    Looked up Sirus and XM and both seem pretty much the same... anyone installed a satellite system in their cars?

Gordon Lawson
    Niagara on the Lake
    Ont., Canada
    1989 535i 5speed "Eat'n"

I just installed a Sirius and love it. XM supposedly has more commericals than Sirius.

As of Feb 2nd, XM went commercial free. I heard both systems and picked XM for 3 reasons.

1) More jazz and blues stations on XM
    2) I don't think that Sirius has enough listeners to keep it alive for very long.
    3) The original XM unit color scheme matches the backlighting on BMW's. (kinda silly but a decent reason for me.)

Default To those that have installed....

I was at an autocross last summer and this guy with an E46 323i installed the antenna on the rear shelf instead of on the outside of the car. I thought it was very cool, not sure how it affected reception, i really dont want to add an antenna, any idea how this might work?

Quote Originally Posted by walt
    I just installed a Sirius and love it. XM supposedly has more commericals than Sirius.

I have a lenghty commute. Was thinking about doing this myself. Anyone know of a dealer or good deal running ?
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default I installed XM

I installed XM last month. I put the antenna on the rear parcel shelf. I get maximum signal strength, so I'm happy with it there. The control sits in front of the stick. The FM modulator went behind the head unit. It works great!
    535 iM 213k

Default Both seem to have pretty well the same setup....

Was on the Sirus website and there is a good selection of radios (to replace the stock one) and adaptors to fit in cassette players and portable units... Just wondering how it would work out with the factory amp, or if it bypasses that... can you still listen to normal radio as well????
    Gordon Lawson
    Niagara on the Lake
    Ont., Canada
    1989 535i 5speed "Eat'n"

You can get either Sirius/XM receivers that work with an FM modulator. You just tune the radio some freq. and then you use the Sirius/XM tuner to dial in satelite stations. You would still get your normal stations and your amp would not be a problem

ALSO, thezeb is running a deal on ebay. The Clarion DXZ835mp head unit + Sirius tuner for $270. Thats a smokin price and thezeb is a good co plus they are a Clarion authorized internet dealer. That package retail is worth twice that price. The sirius tuner alone is $150. Just search "clarion sirius" and you will find it. The 835 is Sirius ready so you don't have the extra module and display. Also, you still need the antenna.....

Sirius has espn-radio and other sports talk channels if your into that.
    1992 525i
    2004 545i six-speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast