GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Stomp test not working...

Default Stomp test not working...

Hi guys!!

My 540 w/ alusil block threw a check engine light and started running really rough on my way into work today. It also stalled a couple times while sitting in traffic on my way back home... Great!!!

I tried doing a stomp test to pull the codes and it is not working. (Ignition on w/out starting, press accelerator to floor 5 times w/in 5 seconds - wait for the codes to flash) Am I doing something wrong?

Possible problems:
    O2 Sensors - never replaced to my knowledge (car has 130K)
    Vacuum leak - can't seem to find one
    Intake gasket - PCV plate
    Bad plug/coil - plugs 10K miles old
    Fuel pump - fuel filter only 15K miles old
    Weak battery??
    Missing anything?

I went home for lunch to try and troubleshoot it and now I can't even start it. Any suggestions?

Bryan
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

Check your throttle position switch. I just had one go bad gradually and intermittently. It drove me nuts trying to find it since it worked when cold. It's easy to test with an ohmmeter.

Got home tonight after work... My car started right up w/ an almost perfect idle. ???? WTF ???? The check engine light is still on though... I'm still not able to do a stomp test to pull the codes. Are all US e34's equipped for the stomp test?

Bryan
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

NO...I read that some cars do not do the stomp test...however sometimes it takes a LOT of practice to get it to work right.

Next on the list is a vacuum leak check, could be the intake tube at the front of the manifold isnt sealing great, the pcv plate on the back of the inteke or the very very common intake gasket leaks...I have that one for sure. Next is the vally pan gasket seal.

If you arent sure about if these were ever replaced than It couldnt hurt anything but the cost of the gaskets, a weekend of beer and some mechanical fun! If you opt for that dont forget to get the "O" ringes for the watertubes under the intake that will pull out on you and create a nightmare if you didnt think of them.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy