GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "VANOS rattle"

Default "VANOS rattle"

I did a search on this and came up a couple of threads. Most make reference to a relatively inexpensive kit available from BMA consisting of, among other things, a new tensioner spring, that corrects the rattle. Is it really this simple, stariagtforward, and inexpensive? Does the kit from BMA contain all that is needed to do the job? Looks like I'll be in contact with Patrick again. Any problem with driving the car as I await the goodies? There's been a bit of noise for a while, but has become more pronounced recently.

Thanks.

When do you notice your rattle? I think I might have the same problem? I emailed back and forth with Mark D'Sylva when I was buying my EAT chip and he told me I likely had the VANOS rattle. Anyway, my car is an auto and I notice it mostly right before a shift and right after a shift, usually around 2,000 RPM or so. The reason I'm asking you was because I was confused as to whether I had the rattle or my engine was pinging.

mine is just like yours everest. Right at 2000 rpm. Hopefully somebody will fill us in on what we need to do.

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

The best thing to do with a vanos rattle is simply changing it.I never heard of a correction set for a Vanos unit, but maybe it´s not available in the Netherlands. I always change these things.The chances are slim, but stories go that small pieces can break of a rattling vanos unit and end up in your engine. Never seen it myself, but most of the problems with vanos unitsI´ve ever seen occured on the M3 E36 engine so they are almost inmediately replaced. If you canj fix it with the mentioned BMA set, it would be great and save you some money. Good luck.

I have the same problem. 2000K to about 2600K Any help would be great..
    Don McAdams
    McAdams AutoSport
    www.McAdamsAutoSport.com
    '95 E34 525iT
    '88 E30 ///M3
    '85 E30 325e
    Vero Beach, FL

I've noticed mine makes a noise in that same RPM range. If I put it in S mode, it doesn't seem to make the noise. Does yours occur after a shift as well as before a shift?

Has anyone found out any more info on this topic?

Also, is it consistent that everyone with this problem has the EAT chip? I've only heard the pinging once so far.

I'll be post #9 to chime in....
    - I've got the descrived rattle, chatter, pinging, or whatever it is with that engine at those RPM, with the EAT and an auto, but I don't know what it is. I've had mild but noticable 'noise' relief w/techron, BG44K and a seemingly penny-wise pound foolish hot soak w/SeaFoam - so I wonder if it isn't detonation.

- I also thought the cam began to advance close to 3K , at least that's when I really feel it kick in... and also the speed (RPM) on the highway where my mileage begins to drop off (~80mph).

still wondering! Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPatt
    I'll be post #9 to chime in....
    - I've got the descrived rattle, chatter, pinging, or whatever it is with that engine at those RPM, with the EAT and an auto, but I don't know what it is. I've had mild but noticable 'noise' relief w/techron, BG44K and a seemingly penny-wise pound foolish hot soak w/SeaFoam - so I wonder if it isn't detonation.

- I also thought the cam began to advance close to 3K , at least that's when I really feel it kick in... and also the speed (RPM) on the highway where my mileage begins to drop off (~80mph).

still wondering! Rob.
    Are you in California or somewhere where you can only get 91 octane? Do you have an M50 VANOS engine? I'm wondering if we can establish a pattern here... EAT Chip + Auto + VANOS M50 + 91 octane = pinging.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast