GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: To all manual Bimmers, watch who u giving it to!!!

Default To all manual Bimmers, watch who u giving it to!!!

Recently I gave My 525 for a test drive to one of my friends, and unfortunately he does not have much experience with driving a stick. The drive wasn’t exactly the smoothest one; you know all how the beginnings with a manual tranny are. Making story short, we got to a set of red lights that were uphill (a very steppy one), so I think we screwed. To make it worse some motha in a big SUV sopped few inches off the bumper. That was the moment when I started praying that we don’t end up bumping into the car behind us. Fortunately it wasn’t the case, as I thought my buddy panicked. He pressed gas and clutch at the same time. And you all know that there is no better way to burn the clutch then doing that. My poor baby was being slathered until white smoke came out from under the hood with a really strong clutch smell, then it stalled. After waiting few minutes until all the smoke was gone I started the car. Cultch was feeling really soft, but there was no other damage that I’ve noticed. After driving home about 30 miles the pedal became harder but it dropped about an inch or two. Also you can minimally smell burned clutch, especially when the heater is on. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDuke
    Recently I gave My 525 for a test drive to one of my friends, and unfortunately he does not have much experience with driving a stick. The drive wasn’t exactly the smoothest one; you know all how the beginnings with a manual tranny are. Making story short, we got to a set of red lights that were uphill (a very steppy one), so I think we screwed. To make it worse some motha in a big SUV sopped few inches off the bumper. That was the moment when I started praying that we don’t end up bumping into the car behind us. Fortunately it wasn’t the case, as I thought my buddy panicked. He pressed gas and clutch at the same time. And you all know that there is no better way to burn the clutch then doing that. My poor baby was being slathered until white smoke came out from under the hood with a really strong clutch smell, then it stalled. After waiting few minutes until all the smoke was gone I started the car. Cultch was feeling really soft, but there was no other damage that I’ve noticed. After driving home about 30 miles the pedal became harder but it dropped about an inch or two. Also you can minimally smell burned clutch, especially when the heater is on. Any suggestions?
    1. You won't let someone who doesn't know how to use a manual trans drive your car again will you?
    2. Your clutch is burnt out.
    3. Remove transmission & replace the clutch plate, pressure plate & thrust bearing and machine the flywheel.
    4. Replace transmission & road test.
    5. Refer to point 1.
    Last edited by pundit; 03-28-2005 at 12:38 AM.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Naww, I doubt it would burn out on a single fry. More likly the pressure plate got blued and will slip a bit until it breaks in again. The smell will go away eventually.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

shoot your friend THRU his wallet, then realize that he shouldn't have asked to drive your car if he was unfamiliar with driving a manual transmission, sometimes friends are the worst enemy............I would have it diagnosed professionally, and inform your friend of his new "monthly payments"

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Naww, I doubt it would burn out on a single fry. More likly the pressure plate got blued and will slip a bit until it breaks in again. The smell will go away eventually.
    You would be surprised just how quickly a clutch can be fried. I've seen a brand new clutch burnt out in under 60 secs by someone trying to reverse a trailer up a driveway. It came good for a short while, but the damage was done. Had to be replaced again within a month.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

I've seen tucks with loads burning clutches because of incompetence of the driver quite few times. Now every time I let anyone drive my car... wait right now no one is allowed even to touch the steering wheel, well except for my bro, but he has more then plenty of experience driving a stick. Actually you could not smell the clutch this morning so I think it should be ok. I guess about 5K of live spend of the plate went to hell. But just in case I'll check BMA Prices.

Its a dual mass flywheel - you cannot machine it. Average street prices are usually around $500.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

If the plate isn't damaged the flywheel should be fine right?