GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Body shaking at 50-60 MPH

YoDaddy Guest

Default Body shaking at 50-60 MPH

Hi all. I just upgraded my 15 inch stock wheels to 17 inch Mille II wheels and Falken tires. The wheels are used but look to be in great shape while the tires are brand new. At 50 mph the car starts to shake...at about 60 mph the shaking smooths out... The tire dealer reset my frontend camber and has done everything possible...mutiple balancing, rotated the tires on the wheel and has indicated that he will replace the tires if need be. The dealer is a great guy and I would like to spare him the hassle of going to new tires. Any suggestions? I was also wondering if the tread pattern was at fault. I had no problem with the stock wheels and tires. Thanx

1995 525i
    JC Chip
    Euro Impact strips
    72000 miles

Default thrust arm bushings

have you changed the thrust arm bushings. the wider grippier tire will make the shake more noticable. i had to replace mine 4 months ago. i replaced the thrust arms with the 750il bushings (they are heavier), tie-rods, & center link. the mechanic that aligned the car told me my 540i was one of the tightest front ends he ever worked on.
    tim s.
    1995 540i/a
    1987 325e
    Last edited by tim s; 02-20-2004 at 12:27 AM.

Do the wheels go on snugly? Are you sure they don't require hubcentric rings?

The tires might simply be out of round (you get what you pay for...I know my Kumhos aren't perfectly round, the tire noise is periodic).

Quote Originally Posted by YoDaddy
    Hi all. I just upgraded my 15 inch stock wheels to 17 inch Mille II wheels and Falken tires. The wheels are used but look to be in great shape while the tires are brand new. At 50 mph the car starts to shake...at about 60 mph the shaking smooths out... The tire dealer reset my frontend camber and has done everything possible...mutiple balancing, rotated the tires on the wheel and has indicated that he will replace the tires if need be. The dealer is a great guy and I would like to spare him the hassle of going to new tires. Any suggestions? I was also wondering if the tread pattern was at fault. I had no problem with the stock wheels and tires. Thanx

1995 525i
    JC Chip
    Euro Impact strips
    72000 miles

i just did a 91 535 that was crashed so hard the driveshaft was bent, oooo nice car, the farking driveshaft tunnel is deformed so that the tranny xmember doesn't sit straight, and no this aint the worst "fixed" wreck i've worked on
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Check this link out for more info. on the thrust arm bushings: http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/Mainte.../Upper_arm.htm

my car just started to do the shimmy...

YoDaddy Guest

Default Thanx for all your responses..

I had the thrust arm bushings replaced about 4000 miles ago...I think I will have the shop look at the driveline and the joints...if they pass muster I will try a new set of tires (possibly upgrading to the next level of quality)..Thanx for all your responses...

Default Hubcentric Rings? If not - that's the problem.

Why does the new format FORCE a body of the message?

'90 525i Guest

Mine did the exact same thing at the exact same speeds when i bought it. A front end allignment cleared it all up, no probs.

Default again make sure your wheels are correct.

the hubs are 72.5 mm dimeter on the e34 many aftermarket wheels and some bmw wheels are not.Hub centric rings make sure the wheels are concentric to the hub.....
    Gone but not forgotten

Unregistered Guest

Definetly check about your control arms and tie rods. I have the same problem it it becomes extremely noticable when on a downhill slope and braking at higher speeds unless i press the brake to a certain point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast