GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Bosch vs OE Oxygen sensor failure on 525i?

Default Bosch vs OE Oxygen sensor failure on 525i?

My indy advised me (when the time comes) to replace my oxygen sensor with a genuine BMW oxygen sensor and not a bosch sensor. They have tried both and have experienced a fairly large number of failures on the Bosch sensor and not the BMW unit. He even said the sensors look alike yet could not explain it.

Anyone else had that experience? TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    My indy advised me (when the time comes) to replace my oxygen sensor with a genuine BMW oxygen sensor and not a bosch sensor. They have tried both and have experienced a fairly large number of failures on the Bosch sensor and not the BMW unit. He even said the sensors look alike yet could not explain it.

Anyone else had that experience? TIA
    My first Bosch replacement lasted 1 1/2 years. I am now on another Bosch that is about 2 years old.
    Scott
    1995 BMW 525i w/139K miles, EAT Chip - (Gone)
    07 525i 22K, 07 328xi (41K)
    1982 Mazda RX-7 w/147K miles (Back again!)

the oe sensor is a bosch, i just don't think they are as good as they use to be, mine only lasted a year and a half, bosch started going down hill when autozone started selling it, i beleve that bosch is subbing out too much parts building to other countrys, a lot of bosch stuff no longer comes from germany a good portion comes from cz republic, seen some india and china too, not as good a qualiity control, bmw may have a small stock pile of the older stuff the reason they seem better
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default That is a bad sign for Bosch!

Looks like I need to question Bosch quality when buying replacement parts. Now are there replacement for Bosch products that are high quality?

Also, I may just keep my oxygen sensor until it fails, I was considering replacing it just because it has almost 60,000 miles on it.

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    the oe sensor is a bosch, i just don't think they are as good as they use to be, mine only lasted a year and a half, bosch started going down hill when autozone started selling it, i beleve that bosch is subbing out too much parts building to other countrys, a lot of bosch stuff no longer comes from germany a good portion comes from cz republic, seen some india and china too, not as good a qualiity control, bmw may have a small stock pile of the older stuff the reason they seem better
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Speaking of O2 sensors, my check engine light came on last night and the flashing code is indicating that it is Oxygen sensor #1. My service manual made it seem like a fairly easy repair until it mentioned that the sensor was under the transmission? I am reading this correctly? Has anyone had much experience changing any of the these sensors on the 530i engine?

Clay, you might have a vacume leak, reset the code and it will run on. I need to replace my intake gaskets. I got that code 2 times this winter and disconnected the battery for a while and it runs good.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

It does make me wonder because the car is running just fine and I don't seem to be burning any extra fuel. I was going to try to reset the light and see if it came back on me, getting to the O2 sensor sounds like it might be harder then actually doign the replacement work!

Quote Originally Posted by Clay 94 530i
    Speaking of O2 sensors, my check engine light came on last night and the flashing code is indicating that it is Oxygen sensor #1. My service manual made it seem like a fairly easy repair until it mentioned that the sensor was under the transmission? I am reading this correctly? Has anyone had much experience changing any of the these sensors on the 530i engine?

Clay, the O2 sensors is below the transmission and above the cat. Its on top of the cat, damn near where the driveshaft is. Its a mega bitch. Since i just had custom exhaust done up, i had them locate the O2 bung in a spot more accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Clay, the O2 sensors is below the transmission and above the cat. Its on top of the cat, damn near where the driveshaft is. Its a mega bitch. Since i just had custom exhaust done up, i had them locate the O2 bung in a spot more accessible.

yeah I kind of figured it would be a bitch to get too. I wasn't entirely convinced that there was anything wrong with it so I re-set the memory on the Check Engine light and have driven it a little bit with no return of the light or any performance fall offs (the rpm's were reving a little bit at idol for a while but I think that was some old fuel from winter storage working its way thru cause after a bit of driving it stopped).

Anyway Thanks for the info!