GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Coming up on 150k - Maintenance Questions

Default Coming up on 150k - Maintenance Questions

Well, in about 1500 miles, I will hit what I hope is the 1/5th point of my car's life. I've been doing my own maintenance on my car for the past 75k (since I got it), and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something big maintenance wise. Here's the scoop:

1) The car is a 1993 525i 5 speed
    2) I change the oil and filters every 3500-4000 miles
    3) Inspection I and II have been done by the Bentley's as required.
    4) Brakes bled and coolant changed every 2 years
    5) New clutch and hydraulics at 90k
    6) O2 sensor is about 15k old
    7) Consistent 22.2 mpg with city/LA freeway driving

Current "issues" with the car:

1) A few burned out bulbs in the interior
    2) Broken fog light
    3) Rattle from under the car when warm (heat shield?)
    4) Loose shifter
    5) Burns a little oil between changes (< 1/2 liter)

Steering, suspension, etc is all tight. Can you all think of anything I need to do that is not detailed in the Bentley's or regular scheduled maintenance? Is there anything required for the timing chain (lube or anything)?

Thanks,
    Dave

how's the cooing system? particularly the water pump and fan clutch? thats the only other thing i can think of. you could buy a new shifting kit to fix that looseness...

otherwise i'd just check the integrity of all your hoses, vaccum and cooling. check your brake lines next time you change your pads if they're OE.

i've ordered an entire new set of all the bulbs for my instrument cluster from BMA, going to put them in in the next few weeks. it cost all of maybe 25$ for the 30ish bulbs required to light everything.

If you're doing the inspection 1 and 2 theres probably literally nothing else you could possible check for until i breaks

Water pump and fan clutch have already been done too- I'm dead center on the engine temp all the time.

I was mainly wondering if there was something major that Bentley and the Inspections did not cover. Doesn't sound like there is.

I've had the bulbs from BMA for about 2 years now - I just haven;t had the desire to replace them yet...

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    how's the cooing system? particularly the water pump and fan clutch? thats the only other thing i can think of. you could buy a new shifting kit to fix that looseness...

otherwise i'd just check the integrity of all your hoses, vaccum and cooling. check your brake lines next time you change your pads if they're OE.

i've ordered an entire new set of all the bulbs for my instrument cluster from BMA, going to put them in in the next few weeks. it cost all of maybe 25$ for the 30ish bulbs required to light everything.

If you're doing the inspection 1 and 2 theres probably literally nothing else you could possible check for until i breaks
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

change out the differential and trans fluid?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Done at 145k....

If there is nothing too special, then I am more than happy to let it be.

About the battery - I saw some posts referring to what happens when the voltage gets low, but i could not find the original post. What special warnings will I get when the battery is about to leave me?

Thanks, Dave

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    change out the differential and trans fluid?
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

could get all kinds of funky goings on, obc codes, strange behaviors, trans codes etc. Theres something you can do! get a new battery.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I have AAA coverage, and an Autozone around the corner from my house and an Autozone around the corner from my work. I figure when it dies, I call AAA, get a boost, then pick up the new battery!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    could get all kinds of funky goings on, obc codes, strange behaviors, trans codes etc. Theres something you can do! get a new battery.
    dave b
    93 525i
    156k +

im not sure how "enthusiastic" you are about making sure everything's ok.....when was the last time the alternator was replaced? if i was itching to make sure everything is tip top, i'd measure the brushes on there and see how much life you "should" have left.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 03-28-2005 at 06:38 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Quote Originally Posted by infinity5
    Is there a link to a how-to on changing these bulbs? For me, the bulbs on the computer and half of the auto shifter are dim (radio is fine).