GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotors: Vented vs. Cross Drilled/Slotted

Default i have zimmerman front & back........

with semi-metalic lining on my 540i/a. i put about 16,000mi. on them & they are showing very little wear. i get a slight noise under harder braking. it has limited my brake fade greatly, but does still happen. they are a definite upgrade from the stock disks they faded very easily for me. maybe i am just to aggressive.
    tim s.

Thanks for all of the replies! This has been a huge help for me. From what I have gotten out of everyone's replies it seems that the crossed drilled and slotted don't seem to be what I need. It sounds like for a lot of money I am just buying apperances and possibly problems if I don't spend a small fortune.

Right now I am trying to figure out which brand is best? Most of what I see for OEM parts are Balo and ATE. I have heard a little about both and price wise they are about the same any major differences that I should know about? I was also considering possibly going with the slotted ATE power discs for the front (a little bit of show/flash would be nice) and normal flat discs for the rear... would this be a bad decision?

Thanks again for helping a newbie out with all of his questions!

I recommends ATE PowerDisc... you are on the right track. Rear slotted is never an option so no big loss there. About 70% of the braking force is in the front so that is where you need it.

Ditto too over here too... same car. Extremely low wear on brake pads. I had PBR MetalMaster with my crossdrilled for 6 years and about 60,000 miles on it with lots of meat to go. I am not easy on brake either... I always brake hard to "feel" my brake clamp down on the rotors... sounds like a mini airplane braking after landing.

Slotted rotors are quieter than crossdrilled.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12