GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Thrust arm bushing question

Default Thrust arm bushing question

I'm getting the shimmys that show up at 55-60 mph and then disappear above that, so my guess is that the upper thrust arm bushings need to be replaced. I guess I'm a little surprised because I've only got about 60k on the car. I've got a couple questions before diving into this:

1. Should I be surprised that they've worn out at 60k miles? I don't drive the car especially hard, no autocrossing or even street racing, really.

1. I see that the new bushings have to be pressed in. I've had some luck with pressed bushings in the past at home using an adjustable c-clamp. Any chance that this method would work with these, or am I really better off just buying replacement arms with new bushings already in place? Looks like they're about $125 each, ugh.

TIA.

most of us here use the lemforder arms with the 750 bushings, You can get these at www.bmaautoparts.com. They do not list them on the website but if you call and speak to Patrick he will get them out to you. They are $190.00
    for the pair.
    They have some cheaper ones on ebay, but no one here have tested them yet.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/front_noises.htm

darron
    [IMG][/IMG]

Even though you only have 60K... it is about right for the age of the car and/or road condition. You are better off replacing the whole arm specifically because of the ball joint possibility of being worn too. Just do the job once is enough.

Last hint is do not tighten the bolt on bushing unless it is loaded meaning wheel on the ground. A car ramp makes this job easier... or if you have access to ramp lift.

Default Lemforder Is The Way........

to go.........Did mine last year and are working fine after 30k miles. Make sure to tighten under load or you'll be replacing them again soon.

Thanks for the info guys, and such quick responses. Just orderd a pair of the Lemforder arms with the 750 bushings from BMA. $99 each, FYI. Have a good weekend.

Pmulry, what Manteca meant about tightening under load is that the car must be off the lift and full weight on the front wheels. If you tighten the bushings while the front suspension is in any position other than normal loaded position, you will preload the bushing against its neutral confirguration and it will wear out much more quickly. It is not uncoming to hear about mis-tightened bushings wearing out in 10-15-20k miles...

Cheers,
    Duey

1995 540i/6 Sport Pkg w/E.A.T. chip and Nikasil injection Duey's Gallery