GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear spoilers for E34's

Default Rear spoilers for E34's

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...26&hg=41&fg=60

What's the best way acquiring one one these? New from BMA auto parts or elsewhere like e-bay? Looks like you drill 4 holes to secure the spoiler.

Secondly, is there any functional value of the M Rear spoiler (eg to keep the back more stable at high speed), or is it just eye candy?

regards

kristian

yeah the one i took off an m5 was just bolted down
    looks the same

M-tech rear wing... It does have a functional duty like all race cars. It forces pressure on the rear end at higher speed. In race world, rear end tends to lift up under high speed... aerodynamic. So when you go around the circle or track, your rear end is kinda "loose." So with a wing on the trunk, it put pressure on the rear tire so it stay planted. How much pressure in real world? I really don't know. Perhaps you can google this info.

I know for an F1 car it produces over 4,000 lbs of downforce... you could actually drive an F1 car upsidedown if such a track existed.. the downforce the rear wing produces far exceeds the weight of the car ... as for a wing for a Beemer ?? eye candy... unless your racing your car ...
    1992 BMW 535 155??? Miles
    Bavarian Autosport Exhaust,17" Style 32 Rims, Black on Black and very sinister looking ... My 1st BMW and I love her .....

Eye Candy For $800.......?

Huh, I just don't get it.

if i lived in germany i would need it,but its only eye candy here,check the online etk,i have an idea they are "ended"
    Gone but not forgotten

York, England - an ancient walled city, founded by the Romans. Popular with American visitors!

Default Downforce not eye-candy

No there is more to it than that. According to the E34 brochure, when the 535 Sport was introduced the full M tech sports kit (front bumper, rear bumper,side skirts and spoiler) was fitted to the 535, it reduced front axle lift by 33% and rear axle lift by 50%.

from memory the ETK says you must fit the whole kit. It makes sense, just fitting the spoiler might actually lift the front end.

What are the experts views?

I must say I have never seen a spoiler which suits the car as well as the Mtech one
    Simon Daubeney, York, England. 1989 530iSE 5-spd Manual, Alpina 17s, M5 swaybars, Eibach sports springs and Bilstein Sprint dampers.

What speed would you have to be doing (minimum) for the spoiler to have an effect on the downforce? I'm talking about high speed driving.

i am sure they have an effect but not significant at the speeds i drive at...speed limit here is 100 km,and it is fairly rigidly enforced.
    Gone but not forgotten

yeah paul, our max is 110km, except for the Northern Territory. Unrestricted speed limits must be a blast to drive on. I haven't done it yet though.