GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Just got a 97 528i ..HELP!

Default Just got a 97 528i ..HELP!

Hey everybody! What an excellent forum, i know you guys can help me. I recently purchased a 1997 528i. A few concerns: I still cannot figure out some of the controls, where can i get info on all the control panels as to what they are and what they do. Also the big question is: When i purchased the car it started with no problems, nice and smooth. Recently every time I start the car, it takes me upward of 3 turns of the key to get it started, What the heck could this be?? It dies out a few times before the start!
    Also when acceleratig on the highway, it feels like a real drop when i take my foot off of the accelerator, heavier drop than ususal. After purchasing this car i am so worried about all the little problems i keep hearing about, and now here i am with a couple little problems (i hope!) and ive only had the thing for a week!!! Any suggestions on a fix for the starting problem?

Great to be on board the forum!

Jimmy 528i from Philadelphia

Welcome to the board Jimmy!

I take it you didnt get an owners manual with the car? You might be able to pick one up from the dealer, theres all kinds of bells and whistles you'll probably never find out about without one.

As for your non-start and running problems I would say to look through the records to see what was recently replaces as in tune up parts and go from there. Could be something simple and could need a complete tune up/service inspection to rule out the obvious.

Good luck!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Ok the top of my head it sounds like spark plugs are a very possible problem, but there are other little tune up things such as fuel filter, and lines that could be the probelm.

You might want to try http://bmwtips.com/. It's specifically for e39's ('97-03)

check the crankshaft position sensor.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

damn good chance the cyclonic valve is dead/blown, it's on the bottom of the intake and when it goes it makes a good sized vacuum leak 11 15 1 703 484 is the part # bmw calls it a pressure regulating valve, i call it a piece of ****, bmw put some kind of cheep crap like that on every thing built after 95, on the v8 cars it's the rear cover of the intake and 318s it's about as big around as a coke can and in the plate that divides the upper and lower intake manifolds, check for obvious splits in the air boot first
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it