GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 95 525i 168k Is it worth it?

Default 95 525i 168k Is it worth it?

I was wondering what everyone though about when to start moding a car?
    My 95 525i has 168,000 miles on it, its got some minor dings and dents, the engine has a small tick and the hood is oxydized.... Should I start moding it? The car has been taken good care of (mechanically) but I am concerned that with 168k miles on it, moding it may be a wast of money or speed up the death of the engine. I am just looking at an E.A.T. chip, new suspension, maybe new exhaust, new wheels, etc. Am I to put this kind of $$$ into a 10 year old car?

I wouldn't say you're for modding a 10 year old car, it's the newest e34 model year there is! As for the rest, it's kind of up to you.. It wouldn't be the craziest thing I've heard. But if you're after performance I'd be looking into upgrading to a 540 or an M5.

i've got a '93 with 211k, and i am in love. little tip for the M50, 10w30 or thicker to cure that tapping. let some jackass rear end you and get it repainted! haha. fix her up, you wont be let down at all.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by bimmerd00d
    let some jackass rear end you and get it repainted!
    I was wondering about your signature pic but now I see, you've had it repainted!

Would you say that the E.A.T. chip will put stress on the engine that could cause engine failure?

Quote Originally Posted by wishihad50k
    Would you say that the E.A.T. chip will put stress on the engine that could cause engine failure?
    haven't heard of such things happening.

As far as modding an older / high mileage car... why not?

The car has already depreciated down to the point where it's value will settle, dependent upon regular maintenance and good care.

It's prime time to get creative and customize you ride if you intend to keep it. Just choose your equipment carefully, and remember that the more extreme changes you make will require a greater initial investment as well as more costly maintenance.

94 540i / 255k / 165k on the alusil / E.A.T. chip / Power Discs w/Akebono Pro Ceramic / E39 type 33's

-Brandon G

Heck im 16 and my car is one year younger then me, I was deffinately hoping to mod it. Dont break my heart by saying i shouldnt man. that just wouldnt be good at all!

Dont go breakin my heart!
    -J.M

I've spent in the area of $6000 on my 220k+ 535 in the past few months, and I still haven't addressed the cosmetic issues (read: paint and lots of dents).

Do you like the car?

'Cause I really like mine and am planning on getting 400k out of it, which should be at least 5 years of service. Yeah, I'll have to replace a few things before then, but my logic here is that the e34 is still a very "modern" car both in terms of looks and features (how many cars off of dealer lots have HEATED DOOR LOCK CYLINDERS?!). To have NO car payment and spend $10k over a period of 5 years (quite possibly longer) on maintenance/cosmetics for a car is a pretty damn good deal from my perspective. I mean, that's YUGO territory in terms of cost: $2,000 a year for a euro "limousine"? I'll take it.

It's a bimmer You can't do this with a chevy...or a toyota...or anything else, except perhaps with a merc. Ever had a head gasket fail or a timing chain slip on a w126 V8?

best, whit
    Last edited by Kalevera; 03-22-2005 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wishihad50k
    211k on my M50tu, had an EAT chip since 130k.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

The only thing I can add to that is good luck finding parts to "mod" your car... unless your driving a 3 series, theres not much out there as far a cosmetic upgrades are concerned ... a little bit more as far as performance upgrades( speaking for the m30 mill )and with whats out there it will never be a true "performance car" spirited yes, but this thing will never touch my '86 GLHS 'course I doubt very highly an ///m5 would hang with that bad boy... still though.. I can't seem to bring myself to part with this car, as much as I want to sometimes ...
    1992 BMW 535 155??? Miles
    Bavarian Autosport Exhaust,17" Style 32 Rims, Black on Black and very sinister looking ... My 1st BMW and I love her .....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast