GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: '95 540iA oil pump situation

Default '95 540iA oil pump situation

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just thought I'd share something with you guys.

Sooo, my car goes in for the infamous "oil pump bolts loosen" check (I've wanted to do this for quite awhile) and what do they find, well, not the bolts everyone talks about, they are nice and tight, but the bolt that holds on the sprocket for the chain, the SOB sheared right off!
    We have know idea when or how the hell this happened, but all I can say is OMG, Thank God I got that car in when I did, 'cause we all know what could of happened if the sprocket flew off and the chain went flying!

Anyway, I'll be without the car for about three days waiting for the parts and install.
    While under the car, we noticed BOTH tranny mounts (rubber) are history, so those will be done also.
    On the 9th it's tranny day, take that sucker apart and do the valve body and replace the fluid.
    Oh and we got those BLACK powder coated valve covers on and they look great.

Well, that's about it, I still can't believe that damn bolt shearing off!

Keith '95 540iA

chances of the sproket flying of is virtually nil, what do you mean that the bolt sheared off? Busted off? I still dont want to check mine.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    chances of the sproket flying of is virtually nil, what do you mean that the bolt sheared off? Busted off? I still dont want to check mine.
    Umm, that's where you are TOTALLY wrong, he took two fingers (like a v) and put them behind the sprocket and brought his two fingers forward and the sprocket popped right off the shaft that the bolt was threaded too (at one time)

I'm not telling anybody to panic and drop the pan to check THIS, I was more concerned myself about the bolts that hold the pump itself and as I said, they were fine.
    Just imagine what WOULD of happened if I didn't drop the pan!
    I don't even want to think about it

Keith,

From the ETK it shows the sproket being held on with a nut.

Did this just back off or did the pump shaft actually shear off? Did you find the nut in the pan? Do you have the Alusil block? When BMW switched to the Alusil blocks did they reuse the oil pump? Maybe some tech forgot to tighten the nut or overtightened it.

Sounds like I may be dropping my pan to check this out. I've only got a little over 100K on the car with a Alusil change at 39K so about 60K on the block.

Bob

1995 540iA - 1988 535i 5 Speed
    1980 528i 5 Speed - 1980 528iA (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in San Jose
    Keith,

From the ETK it shows the sproket being held on with a nut.

Did this just back off or did the pump shaft actually shear off? Did you find the nut in the pan? Do you have the Alusil block? When BMW switched to the Alusil blocks did they reuse the oil pump? Maybe some tech forgot to tighten the nut or overtightened it.

Sounds like I may be dropping my pan to check this out. I've only got a little over 100K on the car with a Alusil change at 39K so about 60K on the block.

Bob
    Hi ya Bob.

Yes Bob, the pump shaft sheared off and the bolt was lying in the bottom of the pan.
    Yes I have the Alusil block, it was done at around 67k and it now has about 145k.
    I couldn't tell you if the pump was re-used, the block was done before I bought it, but I'd be surprised if they replaced it with a new one, unless the previous owner ASKED for it to be replaced.

You know Bob, dropping the pan to check the oil pump mounting bolts was my concern, so I would suggest you do that and see what else is happening.

So are you bringing the 540 to Bimmerfest, or have you not decided yet?

Keith

I was going to bring the e34 but then I see there are no e12s registered yet, so I'm undecided.

Bob

1995 540iA - 1988 535i 5 Speed
    1980 528i 5 Speed - 1980 528iA (Sold)