GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help needed - I broke the subframe bolt

If you are in Sydney, try calling Masbolt in Wetherill Park, they have stainless bolts as well as Zinc plated hardened steel ones (probably what BMW use). Be sure to get plated ones... if not stainless. The locking nuts are referred to universally here as 'Nyloc nuts'. Once you have the spec ie M10x65mm or whatever they measure up to be you'll be ok. You probably know but JIC be sure that the bolts will be metric a lot of Aussie fasteners are still imperial... good luck... GP

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

On second thoughts, just checked the ETK (am also doing rear suspension in mine)... toying w getting coil-overs from ground control...

I reckon that nut is VERY special- probably best to buy direct from your local stealer...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

ooops when i say nut, i actually mean 'knurled bolt' 51718181460 from that ETK link earlier on in the thread... be sure to check it is the right year and model JIC, however I think that part is common on all E34s.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    On second thoughts, just checked the ETK (am also doing rear suspension in mine)... toying w getting coil-overs from ground control...
    What are the ground control coilovers like? How much can they lower the car and how much are they etc? Looked on the website but i couldn't find much info.

Default This is a bitter lesson to learn but...

a few years back I placed a post concerning the R&R of parts.
    ESPECIALLY, lower body, brake, powertrain, suspension and steering parts.

Here's the short version....
    Whenever replacing parts that are in contact with crud and water, it is cheaper (and in the long run easier!), to replace the parts along with new hardware.

So....if you going to do any work, when ordering the parts, order the associated hardware. Generally, it amounts to a few extra bucks but it will save you that in time and heartache.

In some cases, BMW stipulates that you NOT use the old hardware so, of course, you should order ANYTHING that they state should be replaced....

Don't be cheap!
    "Uncle" Phil C
    2011 Kia Optima EX-P.
    Former owner of a 95 525i 5spd. "The GQ" aka A Shark in sheeps clothing
    03 R1150RT 6spd. "DaRTth"
    00 R1100R 5spd. "LeRoy"

Quote Originally Posted by Rory535i
    What are the ground control coilovers like? How much can they lower the car and how much are they etc? Looked on the website but i couldn't find much info.
    Rory I have no idea how good they are, read one good report. There is a page on gc's site where they are priced and mentioned, its just a bit weirdly laid out.

Re ride height; Coil-overs make it completely adjustable, you just wind the coil down a bit to make the car sit where you want it. Also, I think with these you use your old strut inserts/shocks.

I'm not in the US so I can't really go check. If they make them they should be getting onto the bmw forums though... plenty of people would buy them I would think...

GP
    Last edited by genphreak; 03-29-2005 at 06:19 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

i recieved the bolts and nuts from bma auto today in the mail today. it took abot 5 days for me to receive it after i placed the order, very fast especially over the easter long weekend. the shirt was a nice addition also. will try and fix the car up tommorrow.

wish me luck.

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1007&stc=1
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1008&stc=1
    http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachm...tid=1009&stc=1
    Attached Images Attached Images    

alright bro,
    good luck with the bolt although i dont think u will need
    it. pm me if you have any questions when your doin the work

what parts did you get Kriss and what was the postage(and the method of postage ie usps fedex etc)thinkin about getting some bits and peices.....
    Gone but not forgotten

the parts where etk numbers 6 and 8 as seen in the first post. They where us$6.50 for the bolts and us$1.29 for the nutz. thats a total of us$15.58 or aus$20.

Sylvania BMW said it would take 3 to 4 weeks to come from germany at cost aus$60. Forget that I bought some clear side indicators, auto trans bolts, raidator plug. The parcels total weight was 2 pounds 11 ounces. It was sent USPS fastest method (3 to 5 days). cost was US$30. total parcel value was US$56. 9 days after i broke the bolt, i had new ones in my hands.

I sent the first round of emails off to patrick right after i broke the bolt. That was on Monday, by thursday it was in the mail. and on wednesday today I received it. Paid no customs or import duties on it either.

You can hear people rave on about different companies all day, honestly though, its doesn't make any sence for me to get new parts locally.

BMA is awesome for ordering parts cannot be an easier. look up etk at www.realoem.com, give Patrick the etk number and then see what he can do for you. Thats a better way I think than going from the website sometimes.

i hope this helps you mate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast