GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windshield replacement question

Default Windshield replacement question

My 1995 525i had developed a huge crack on one side and will require replacement. I'm not sure if it is original or not because I can't find a roundel anywhere on it. It does have some sort of dot matrix around the perimeter which looks stock.

What are your thoughts on replacement options? I'm not sure yet if this is my dime or Insurance,

Thanks in advance,

John in CT

Dang...I gotta replace mine as well. What does it cost to do something like this? I've had a bullseye in mine since I bought the car, and I recently removed a sizeable chunk of it when I installed my autodimming rearview.

If the price is right, I'd feel a lot more comfortable just replacing the thing.

best, whit

My windshield is being done today.... at a prefered shop according the insurance company it would be $438 w/o moldings, if they need it then its another $240. Mines being done at a place that specializes in BMWs, OEM glass, $520 w/o moldings, they might need to be replaced, no matter no extra cost to me if they do. If you wanted dealer glass... tack on another $200 I think.

I'm paying the difference between insurance shop... $80 for peace of mind it's being done right...

Did you have to pay your deductible? Mine's $500, so it doesn't make any sense to file the claim if I'm "paying" for it anyway. Also, the damage pre-existed my ownership of the car, beyond the most recent damage, which is entirely my fault for using a flatknife to remove the old windshield button.

Default Problem with non OEM glass?

I was looking into relacing my windshield as well, and was thinking of aftermarker glass due to the substancial price difference. I spoke with my friend who is a tech at the local BMW dealership and he advised strongly against it. He said the aftermarket guys don't seem to get the shape just right, and that often reults in leaks. This seems to be a common problem at his shop, and he has repaired several cars where the windshield leak dribbled down into the DMU and smoked the Motroninc unit.

Can anyone else share their experience with replacement glass?

Windshield deductible is different from comprehensive deductible. Call up your insurance carrier and ask... you can get it as low as $0 (Free) to replace it.

"Q. Will my insurance rates go up if I get my auto glass or windshield replaced through my insurance?

A. No. Auto Glass and Windshield replacement falls under the comprehensive portion of your insurance rather than the “collision” portion. Broken auto glass does not reflect your driving ability and has no bearing on your level of risk to the insurance company. Therefore the repair or replacement of your windshield will not influence your insurance premiums.

Consumer Tip: Most people don't realize that their insurance has a special lower deductible for auto glass damage. It's worth double checking to ensure you know your AUTO GLASS deductible rather than your collision deductible.

Many people tell us they have a $500 windshield deductible, but when we confirm coverage, we find out that their AUTO GLASS deductible is only $100."

this quote is from 89glass.com which is Lynx and that is used by nearly all insurance carriers Otherwise, I find Safelite cheaper for those of us who do have to pay on our own.
    Last edited by Tiger; 03-21-2005 at 06:13 PM.

Default Unbelieveably inexpensive windshield quote!

I just ran 3 quick online quotes to compare prices. The following were quoted for a 1990 e34 windshield, including glass and mobile installation in the SoCal area, tax extra.

89Glass = $296
    Winshieldstogo = $247
    Safelite = $184

Hard to believe the $184 quote, must be made in China. I asked Safelite about their warranty and they said it is lifetime on the glass (defects, not damage), workmanship, and leaks. I asked them what happens if their windshield leaks and does damage to my car. The salesperson didn't know and put me a hold for a few minutes. When she came back she said that any water damage to my car (from their windshield leak) would be covered under their warranty.

Who wants to go first?

http://www.safelite.com

Default Tiger - Comment on Safelite's quality?

Any experience with Safelite's quality or workmanship? (different for every installer, I know). How does the glass look? Does the color match stock?

Thanks.

I had Safelite installed on my old Mercedes... It was a very good glass. Color match factory or close enough. Workmanship on installing was great because the guy done it on that models many time... after all he was in this biz for 17 years.

Mercedes windshield is much easier to install than BMW due to the clips... like everyone said... just buy all those clips before they come... that way they can do the job right in first shot.

Sweet! This is great info. I'm calling my ins. people tomorrow.

best, whit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast