GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Leaking master cylinder - brakes

Default Leaking master cylinder - brakes

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had much to do with the brake master cylinder - I searched the archives and there is practically nothing there. My master cylinder is leaking with the result that the fluid is escaping down the side of the engine bay. Is this fixable without replacing the master cylinder? Will a seal kit do the job? Or is there another reason apart from a corroded cylinder bore or bodgy seals?
    The last master cylinder I bought was for a HQ Holden V8 about 15 years ago and they were $150 AUD back then, God knows how much a BMW master cylinder will cost these days!!

Andrew

As a matter of fact, I just replaced my brake master cylinder this weekend. Purchased a remanufactured cylinder from The Autozone for $99.

Quote Originally Posted by Am Piobaire
    Hi Guys,

Has anyone had much to do with the brake master cylinder - I searched the archives and there is practically nothing there. My master cylinder is leaking with the result that the fluid is escaping down the side of the engine bay. Is this fixable without replacing the master cylinder? Will a seal kit do the job? Or is there another reason apart from a corroded cylinder bore or bodgy seals?
    The last master cylinder I bought was for a HQ Holden V8 about 15 years ago and they were $150 AUD back then, God knows how much a BMW master cylinder will cost these days!!

Andrew

you could try a seal kit but chances are the fluid wasnt changes periodicly and has water rusting the metal or someone used the wrong fluid and it ruined the seals. I would try the seal kit first and inspect the cylinder bore for rust pits. Then bleed the entire system with fresh correct fluid.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Are you sure it's leaking from the cylinder itself? Look again, very closely, there are 2 rubber grommets the brake fluid reservoir seats into the master cylinder. Most of the time the rubber grommet seals start leaking. They are very inexpensive. Take a look and see before you order the cylinder.

Jr

also I think there should be a seal or gasket for the cap seal...not sure but mine seeps out the top and collects dirt around it...I dont like that!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy