GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OME or aftermarket

Default OME or aftermarket

My stereo crapped out on my 90 525i this week. I put in a tape and it wouldn't work or come back out. I got the tape out but it's stuck on tape mode and won't return to radio. So I have nothing. I checked around town and the local dealership, no real solutions locally. I priced out some good aftermarket units but I was happy with the sound I was getting from the BMW unit. I checked Ebay and found some E30 units that might work. My question is it worth it to send my unit to a repair shop, or should I try to buy a used unit from the internet or get a new aftermarket sound system locally. If I do get an aftermarket unit what do I need to look for?

Johnny B

I read somewhere that you can use CD players from newer 3 series, but I'm not sure which ones. You'll have to verify it. If you can't fix it yourself I don't thing it's worth paying for repair, especially when it is a tape player. You can buy them cheap on ebay. If not wait few more weeks, I gonna be getting a new radio soon, and I don't need another dust collector. I'm trying to get JVC Arsenal Series KD-AR5000. I think that is the only CD player in the market right now that looks good in BMW's. How about you guys/gals what are you using?

if you want plug n play go stocker. If you want to spend endless hours go aftermarket. You might be able to take some covers off the radio clearing the old tape out so that it functions again...I would opt fot that first.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    if you want plug n play go stocker. If you want to spend endless hours go aftermarket. You might be able to take some covers off the radio clearing the old tape out so that it functions again...I would opt fot that first.
    I'm going to pull it out and fiddle with it first. I would be happy if I just had radio. But if I go aftermarket I'll look at that JVC.
    Thanks,
    Johnny B

I thought if you took your old head unit to the stealership with proof of ownership, they'd hook you up with a new one for very little money?

I think you're talking about the BMW business CD radio. Single slot front loader. I forget the part numbers for the models that will work. However, the first thing you want to do is pull the old unit and see if you've got an ISO connector or not. If you don't, you'll be cutting the wiring harness any way you shake a stick at it, and I would recommend just going aftermarket, although that may pose some problems with the stock amp (aka -- open up a whole can of worms).

best, whit