GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any other AT users have this little problem?

Default Do any other AT users have this little problem?

When the stick is in D, can you guys push the stick into N without pushing the button? Mine does this through all the gears from 2 to N, but not from N to 2. I have to push the button to move the stick from N to 2. Is this normal, or is mine just screwed up. Im afraid that while in D, i might accidentally push it into Neutral and i might over rev the engine.

do you have to press it in to get out of park? i honeslty don't know how they're really suppose to work...

i can move my shifter from any position to any position without pressing the button. in fact the button is stuck pressed in, and for the longest time i didn't even know i had one. the little linkage pin lock thing is broken on mine, and it might be on yours.

Look here, part 11 is whats broken in my car. the position of the console makes it pretty difficult to hit the gear shifter uness you try pretty damn hard, or have kids climbing around.. i wouldn't worry too much.

if it locks in park though then your car is probably normal

What digi discribed is normal; you are suppose to be able to hit 1 then 2 then 3 then D, and N as sort of a manual shifting.

That's normal, and don't worroy, you wont be able to over-rev your engine. If it's in neutral and you're hitting the gas, you'll probably notice before doing any engine damage. Also, the rev limiter at the redline will prevent over-reving if you don't happen to notice you're sitting on 6500 rpm and not going anywhere.

Primary engagement is apparently what causes the most transmission wear, so going between N and D all the time just for fun will just wear out the (A?) clutch faster. Revving in neutral then dropping it into drive for a take-off that feels faster is the sure way to a transmission re-build.

yea you'll really be having fun when the a-clutch craps on that zf 4hp22 tranny, power braking any slush box aint great but it's much worse for the zf as it had a defect that caused early wear on the first gear clutches

Quote Originally Posted by bondheli
    It gives it a lil hop and makes it look like you have air bags.....
    I know its bad for the car, but its sooo much fun.
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I had similar symptoms.
    The hex screw holding the T handle had fallen out, and the Pull rod, that's connected to the button had cracked on one end. They are dealer only parts.

Screw: 25 16 1 215 780
    Pull Rod: 25 16 1 219 755

Part numbers are for a 94 so verify with the stealer.
    Bavarian Auto has the replacement procedure in their tech section.
    Ramon
    1994 540iA Nikasil EAT Chip
    Tampa Bay, Florida USA

Naw i dont think anything is broken. Because i still need to push the button to get in and out of Reverse and Park. I didnt know our E34's had a rev limiter, i thought that was only in later model BMW's. Thats great to know through. I had friends in the car the other day, and they get quite disruptive and i thought one might knock the stick out of D. I was going to smack the morons. lol.

Default So you mean no engine breaking ...

in 4hp22. Will it f... the trany? Now I understand what screwed mine!

Javier

what is engine breaking on an automatic anyway? Is that stepping on the gas and the brake at the same time?

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Default OK, I may be wrong, but interpreted ...

from this troubleshooting hints that "Engine breaking" was the car breaking action resulted from shifting the transmission to a lower gear, or even from releasing the gas pedal wile transmission is in a position different than "D".

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I'm taking conclusions based on this interpretation.

Javier
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast