GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Auxiliary fan motor

Default Auxiliary fan motor

Hi all,hope you all doing fine and cars running great with no probs.That said i checked the auxiliary fan after overheating started when turning on the A/C, checked the fuses 25,29 which are ok, i jump wired the fan switch socket,i heared the relays click but motor not running.Cleaned the relays had some rust on them,moved the fan and it moves freely,didnt check the resistor and i thought since the motor is not running whats the point.
    Near by,i have a second hand part dealer and he seems to have a 520i 92, and i was wondering would that car`s auxiliary fan motor work fine on my car? or should it be the same spec of my car....

TIA

jj

A little more troubleshooting before you throw parts at the problem.
    Plug your test lamp into the fan motor's power plug and see if you're getting power to the plug. If yes replace the fan motor, If no work back up the circuit to see where the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by Karl
    A little more troubleshooting before you throw parts at the problem.
    Plug your test lamp into the fan motor's power plug and see if you're getting power to the plug. If yes replace the fan motor, If no work back up the circuit to see where the problem is.
    Appreciate the input,just did some extra testing,the switch i tested which is mounted on the right side of the radiator for voltage, and i found voltage for low and high speeds.But to make sure that i correctly understand,is the power plug you are referring to is the one closer to the fan?(the one hard to access?)

jj

Quote Originally Posted by jj7
    Appreciate the input,just did some extra testing,the switch i tested which is mounted on the right side of the radiator for voltage, and i found voltage for low and high speeds.But to make sure that i correctly understand,is the power plug you are referring to is the one closer to the fan?(the one hard to access?)

jj
    somehow i managed to get to the the plug close to the resistor,i tried to find voltage but couldnt find any,before jumping to conclusions;does this mean that the voltage is not getting to the fan motor?am i on the right track here?should this plug have voltage if the ignition is at ON position?

jj

Quote Originally Posted by jj7
    somehow i managed to get to the the plug close to the resistor,i tried to find voltage but couldnt find any,before jumping to conclusions;does this mean that the voltage is not getting to the fan motor?am i on the right track here?should this plug have voltage if the ignition is at ON position?

jj

Turn AC on, the fan should come on.... if not, its more than usual that it's the resistor pack failed

with great appreciation to all who put some thoughts here,i went to buy the relays for the auxiliary fan,and since the parts dealer is a friend of mine,he allowed me to test if the relays are the culprit,put new ones in no go...i returned them and for curiosity reasons i double checked on fuses 25 & 29, i found 25 had a small crack,there was a spare fuse,replaced the cracked one and there you go fan z working,problem solved...
    Moral of the story: next time if you want to check the fuses,do it in broad day light

jj

multi meter is the foolproof way
    Gone but not forgotten