GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Driving an Auto in Manual & Sport mode?

Default Driving an Auto in Manual & Sport mode?

Can someone tell me how "sport" mode works for a 1995 540i. I understand "auto" and "manual" but not sure how the "sport" mode works. Do i shift? What's the difference in 2,3,4?

Is it bad to consistently drive around in manual and sport mode? Manual "D" seems to have a higher RPM than automatic "D"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle72
    Can someone tell me how "sport" mode works for a 1995 540i. I understand "auto" and "manual" but not sure how the "sport" mode works. Do i shift? What's the difference in 2,3,4?

Is it bad to consistently drive around in manual and sport mode? Manual "D" seems to have a higher RPM than automatic "D"

Thanks
    its not bad
    but sport just wiats longer to shift

Default Do you have an owners manual?

Quote Originally Posted by wareagle72

Thanks
    I ask because, if you do, it may help explain some things without having to type something already written. (read: I'm lazy and don't want to type more than I have to )

You may have some misconceptions as well as to how the auto transmission is to function. The SPORT mode is for performance oriented or spirited driving and holds shifts longer which takes better advantage of the available torque...and I believe it also locks out 5th gear (until some ungodly speed above 3 digits!) Also, the MANUAL mode is to take advantage of the transmission with out having upshifts and downshifts taking place...it is NOT a Steptronic transmission meant to be driven like these modern "manumatic" or "autostick" cars like in the E39 Sport or E38 Sport.

In case you don't have an owners manual....here's a link to a PDF file of the 97 e38. Go to page 62 & 63 ... the e38 owners manual gives some simple details of the tranny (which works just like the one in your 540...ATC and all).
    http://www.e38.org/1997Manual-7Series.pdf
    Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL

You **DO NOT** want to drive around in MD if you want to keep your trans alive. Having manual mode selected in drive starts the car in 3rd gear, which will wear the hell out of the clutchpacks.

On my car, sport mode alters the shift points up a bit higher and prevents the trans from going into OD....ie - just makes the engine rev higher and sound better, hehe. I put it in S3 occasionally (car has a 4 spd 4hp-22). I only select manual mode in DRIVE while at ~ 45mph - this will drop the trans from OD (usually) to 3rd.

best, whit