GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Rear shelf vibration / noise

Default Rear shelf vibration / noise

Hi – just a quick question, I hope someone can help me. I would like to remove the rear shelf but I’m not sure what to do with the rear blind during this process – do I first need to remove the blind and then the shelf or does the blind just stay behind – I know this may be a ridiculous question but the shelf seems a little fragile and I don’t want to break the thing. (I would like to put some insulation under the shelf due to a vibrating noise over minor road bumps – I may add that I’m apparently the only one that ever hears the noise)

Thanks
    Emile
    95 525 manual 216000km

Are you sure it's coming from the rear shelf? My exhaust hangers were going bad (in fact, one just disappeared), and they created a sound that appeared to be coming from under/the rear shelf. These things are made of plastic, so they degrade. I replaced one and it helped a lot. Wish I'd ordered two the first time around, cause the other one has gone south...

best, whit

EDIT: there are four exhaust hangers, two are metal (trans and muffler), two are corded rubber (like a tire) and support the mid sections.
    Last edited by Kalevera; 03-17-2005 at 12:10 PM.

I used to hear the same vibrating/rattling sound in my car when i'd have the music up loud. the subs would be kicking so much that the rear shelf would vibrate in harmony! annoyed the **** outta me! I fixed the problem by putting some insulation under it to fill up any gaps and make it a tighter fit. i don't have a rear blind so can't offer any help on that but the insulation did make a difference. don't disregard lowell's suggestion though!

Hehehe...

I know where you're coming from there!! I fixed mine yesterday. Put a few bits of foam under the shelf, then secured it with 3 tidy, black, allen-key (hex) bolts with big washers in the standard securing holes.

Isn't it great too how you can have the stereo kicking along quite loud, but you can barely hear it from outside!! Love the sound deadening and seal quality of these cars!!

Mine doesn't have a blind either, sorry I was no help there Emile

Gone but NEVER forgotten. :'(

And then...