GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sway bars - if u have them, please recommend

Default sway bars - if u have them, please recommend

i think that my next modification will be to change
    the sway bars for fatter ones. i'm looking for some
    options and recommendations
    080.0900.05 G-POWER antiroll bar kit - Sport - GS E34 4Cyl./6Cyl./8Cyl.
    Reduction of the sideways overturn by 60 per cent (manufactured of hydroformed steel). No loss of comfort, optimal function in connection with G-POWER progressive sports springs. Complete set front- (Ø27mm) and rear (Ø20mm) axle incl. rubber bushings.

Application: Saloon/Touring

Additionally included in the package: G-POWER assembly instructions, G-POWER lubricant, G-POWER guarantee certificate, G-POWER sticker, TÜV-approval at \"G-POWER Brunsbüttel\" possible
    i've found those so far for my 91 535i. i know mtech makes a set too
    but i'd imagine those are hard to come by?

also racing dynamics makes some sways too

what do you guys think about these various offerings?

here's what bmwe34.net has to say, but i know that a lot of
    people on the board have different opions, and i'd like to hear
    them all

Sway bars tie the lower suspension components together accross the front and the back, they affect the car oversteer and understeer. Bigger sway bars improve stability while cornering, the best setting is fully soft for the front and hard for the back.

Stock: Front: 23mm - Rear: 15mm.
    Sport suspension: Front: 24mm - Rear: 18mm.
    M-Technic suspension/US E34 M5 3.6: Front: 31 35 2 226 333 - 25mm Rear: 33 55 2 226 507 - 18mm
    Eibach: Front 26mm - Rear: 13mm. (yes, I called them to confirm)
    Racing Dynamics: Front 27mm - Rear: 19mm.

Also there were Nuerburing (BMW's spelling) rear swaybars for the M5 Touring. These were the biggest rear bars ever offered. These may be the perfect complement to the 27mm bar offered by RD as their front rear ratios are highly biased to understeer and these may improve the situation somewhat. Rear 33 55 2 227 416 - 20mm

31 35 2 227 276 $118.00 (m5t front)
    31 55 2 226 334 $6.00 ea. (mounts)
    33 55 2 227 005 $108.00 (m5t rear, 19mm)
    33 55 2 227 006 $4.00 ea. (mounts)
    33 55 2 227 416 $124.00 (N'burgring m5t rear, 20mm)
    33 55 2 227 240 $4.00 ea. (mounts)

With a 20-25% parts discount offered by several BMW dealers in Roundel, and considering that rubber bushings are available from the factory (much quieter and transmit less vibration), the factory bars are a pretty decent choice without being prohibitively expensive. However, there is a time factor to getting these items as they have to ship from Germany, those ordering the Euro parts will have to be patient...

I ordered the MTech sways through BMA & got them pretty quick. As I recall one was in stock in the U.S. & one came from Europe but it didn't take too long. I liked the idea of sticking with the factory rubber bushings & have been happy with the M sways.

Jeff & I both have the RD sways. Thanks again to Bruno for that group buy. The RD bars are pretty beefy; there is the slightest tire rubbing at full lock, with larger wheels. The bars have some adjustment to them.
    Compared to earlier cars, like e28's, the stock e34 front bar is monstrously big already. Maybe next time, I'd try changing the rear bar for that big 20mm m5t bar & keep the front bar stock?
    erased due to slander

I am running the RD bars Front and Rear. The car is set totally neutral. And I am loving life. They are adjustable. I would add RD bars all over again. Made huge difference in tuning out the plow in the turns. - JT
    Johntee540
    1994 540/6 Black - Tan - 199k
    Cardomain Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/737181/1

Default I've got Dinan adjustables (I think)

I would recommend adjustable ones, just for the sake of tunability. I think mine are Dinan (Martin, Jeff - do you know?) They're blue, not green, so I think they are either RD USA or Dinan.

Either way, I love them. Sways + 17" tires + Shocks and springs.... woo hoo what a ride!
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

thanks guys
    i'm almost there with the sachs kit and my 17's 235/255
    i played with the tire pressures and my car is fairly neutral, up until
    120+ and then it'll understeer

so my main reason for sways, is to well, prevent sway =] i've noticed
    that in sharp jerks, say to avoid a pot hole or the like the sachs kit
    is a little under damped and takes a while to get settled....

so i think i'd do both front and back...

now which RD did u guys buy from? the usa one? or the "real" one in italy?
    did u buy through bmpd or what? let me know! =] thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    Jeff & I both have the RD sways. Thanks again to Bruno for that group buy. The RD bars are pretty beefy; there is the slightest tire rubbing at full lock, with larger wheels. The bars have some adjustment to them.
    Compared to earlier cars, like e28's, the stock e34 front bar is monstrously big already. Maybe next time, I'd try changing the rear bar for that big 20mm m5t bar & keep the front bar stock?

the first set that i posted, from g power is exactly that,
    a 27mm front and a 20 in the back...what do u think?

another note, the dinan's are 25 front and 19 rear
    Last edited by bahnstormer; 02-09-2005 at 05:39 PM.

I bought an MTech set from Cacatfish, 25/19 I believe. Current config:

Totally stock suspension (187k, probably not all original, soft but not totally worn-out)
    Bruno's rear subframe inserts
    15" baskeweaves - 225/60 rear, 215/60 front (PO's fault)

The swaybars made a noticeable difference in body motions during those quick transitions you mentioned. Swerving to miss a pothole-type of motions, correcting for a little power oversteer, those kinds of things. Overall the car rolls less, gives the feeling of faster turn in (less time spent 'taking a set'). I would also say that the overall cornering limit is higher, significantly, even. I would not say at this point that I have less understeer, which was a surprise to me. Mid-corner or even towards corner exit I can put more power down due to the higher limits, but it is actually less likely to oversteer than it was before.

Obviously my staggered tires will add understeer, but I'm speaking in a relative standpoint comparing my current setup to the stock swaybars with the same tires/suspension.

My theory is that overall cornering grip has gone up due to better body control and reduced lateral weight transfer, but the 25/19 combo and the staggered tire factor mean that I still get some understeer, and it's a bit more noticable now due to the higher limits.

Overall the car just feels better, smaller, lighter, and more willing to scoot through a corner rather than wade through it. Make sense? But it did not totally make the car neutral.... the RD bars probably do a better job of that. I'm happy with my purchase...it's a street car and the price was right. I really hope to put a Sach's kit on sometime in the near future and see what that will feel like. Between that and some wheels/tires, this could be a really, really good handling car. Well, for weighing 3700 pounds, anyway.

great feedback i thank you sir!
    however, are the mtech's adjustable?

my 535i weighs around 3500lbs but
    factor in the driver, u're right around 3700 yeah

if u get rid of that huge sidewalled 15" u'd get some
    better handling too, i bet the 15" sidewalls flex a lot...

what tire pressures do u run? i'd suggest a 35 front 31 rear
    to dial in some oversteer for you

Default Go for it! I have 27/20 SB

My 91 M5 has 27mm Suspension Techniques front sway bar and the BMW N'ring 20mm rear bar. On a skidpad, the car will understeer at the limit. I am not running staggered tires - 245/40 S-03's at all corners, however I have e-38 M-parallels - 8" front and 9.5" width rear rims.

Note: the N-ring 20mm rear bar has no adjustment holes; the FSB has two and I just changed to the softer of two settings (after skid pad).

Of course, skidpad is only one method of determining how the car handles. Autocross and track require different setups. Learn about trailing throttle oversteer. sign up for driver's schools.

IMO, SB are worthwhile on these heavy cars. Adjustability is great, but everyone I know with bigger bars, sets the rear on hard and front on soft. Which tells me the car could use even a larger rear bar. Wasn't Bruno or someone looking into making a 22mm bar?

In any case, I heartily recommend installing larger SB. any of those you listed will work - get the biggest. I don't think there is any "best" brand, unless you are into color matching...

have fun roadtesting !!!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast