GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The WHEEL dilemma - help me solve it! :)

Default The WHEEL dilemma - help me solve it! :)

Alrighty guys...here's the question of the month:

I recently picked up a set of BBS Style 5 sports (17's) in decent condition. I like them, they make the car look nice, but they're a bit of a pain to clean. While I don't think anyone can say that they're not great wheels, they don't have as much lip as I'dve preferred.

I have the opportunity to pick up a set of actual Hamann HM2 18's. The question is - do I get them in lieu of keeping the 17's? I think I'd like the more exposed rotor/caliper look that the hamanns allow. I suspect the ride quality will get worse and I'll get more tramlining.

So, what would you do?

(see attached pics...BBS style 5's courtesy of JR ///m5, Hamann HM2 replicas in 17" from Jon K's picture archive)

best, whit

Get the 18s, sell the 17s to me.
    1990 BMW 535i 5 speed - Black on Grey, LSD

Bump...I don't have much time on this, so anybody and everybody -- pls give me your advice

best, whit

Get the 18's!!! the 17's are nice but bigger is better in my opinion!

get the 18's, and dont listen to jalfredprufrock. Sell the bb's to me!! =).

www.KaRealtySF.com
    Build Date: 05-1995 /Engine: m50tu /Automatic Transmission /ABS /NO ASC /Open Differential /EAT Chip

I like BMW wheels almost always over aftermarket but all things considered I'd say it comes down to ride quality and the condition of the roads where you live. 18's are going to be harsh but if you're already accustomed to 17's it may not be much of a difference. So if the roads are decent than it shouldn't be too bad.
    The Hamanns are going to be a treat to keep clean compared to the Style 5's -that's for sure.
    Just a sidenote, I went from stock 15" basketweaves to 17" Throwing Stars and the ride quality was much improved, and they're sooo easy to keep clean comparatively.
    You write "Born to Kill" on your helmet and you wear a peace button. What's that supposed to be, some kind of sick joke?

I personally like the 17s alot better. They will ride bettet too and unless the 18s are ultra light, your car will accelerate and brake better with the 17s.

The wheels on the silver car are THE most beautiful wheels I've ever seen on an E34! Period. Are they the BBS wheels??

forget the Hamann 18" as they are casted to fit both low offset and high offset cars. Hamann simply machines the hub pad to the appropriate offset, which means an extended hub pad for the low offset fitments. If you want, I have a set of RD Sport RD2 wheels which have a huge lip in 18x8.5, and I can get a set of 18x9.5 ( even bigger lip) for the rear weels if you choose. Personally, I like the BBS OEM style, but if I had to go 18", I'd go with te RD Sports RD2. Hope this helps.

Hi Niels. Yes, those are the BBS Sports from the E39 sport package. It's a two piece 17" wheel.

best, whit

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast