GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Starter turns, engine doesn't

Default Starter turns, engine doesn't

Hi Guys, newbie here.
    I was wondering if someone could help. I got into my 92 525i this morning and lo and behold she wouldn't start. As my title says, the starter turns but the engine doesn't. Any ideas out there on how to get it going again so I can drive it to the shop or should I just call the towing company...
    Cheers,
    Jon

...need a bit more information in order to help you with that one. Specifically, can you hear the fuel pump running? (turn the ignition to the ON position, go in the trunk, pull the carpet up and stick your ear to the access panel...it should give a WHIRRRing sound). If it seems to be working, I'd check for engine codes, fuel pressure, and ignition.

Others will have much more to say about this...

best, whit

If the starter is spinning freely and the engine isn't turning at all, the starter hypoid gear is stuck.

This probably means new starter time. It could also mean "whack the starter with a wrench and see if it unsticks the hypoid gear".

I'm reading that as "starter spins but engine doesn't crank over", in other words the starter isn't engaging the ring gear. If that's the case, I think you need a new starter (and a tow).

yep, smack the starter a couple times before you call the tow truck...starters are real easy to replace if you have the time and place.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I've been surfing here for awhile but never had the misfortune to have to post for help in fixing the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    yep, smack the starter a couple times before you call the tow truck...starters are real easy to replace if you have the time and place.
    You know 632 Regal, I remember doing this to a 74 Vette, and it worked every time. I didn't think it wise to do it to the 525i, but I gave it a shot anyway. Still no luck. Dam I'm gonna hate to see it on a tow truck.

Cheers again guys.

Mpower post anytime you think you have anything to say, its an open board and sometimes you will see the stupidest ideas turn out to be ones that work.

kinda like hammering the starter.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

My experience with the starter:
    It worked well, no noise at all. I went on a business trip 2 months ago. My dear wife parked the car in a non-parking zone just for a quick stop. It lasted a 'bit' longer, as the starter only said 'click' and that was all when she wanted to drive on.
    The car was towed away by the friendly traffic controllers and parked in their lot which costs of course also parking fee besides the penalty for wrong parking. Then it was towed away to BMW which installed a new starter. Total cost 1000 $
    But now I know how fast a new starter works and turns with the same battery.
    No problem with the starter before, it took a bit longer whirring till the motor started, but I thought is was the battery. Sudden dead so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by shogun
    But now I know how fast a new starter works and turns with the same battery.
    No problem with the starter before, it took a bit longer whirring till the motor started, but I thought is was the battery. Sudden dead so to speak.
    Hi shogun,

The thing with mine is there was no problem or slowness in starting before this. The car started every time without hesitation and without a slow turning starter. Thats why I'm so baffled as to how this could happen without warning. Starters usually take their time to die in my experience.
    Cheers,
    Jon

Most likely you have a worn Bendix clutch in the starter,as you describe the situation.Now you could have a frozen engine and in turn broke the Bendix. Which seens unlikely,but if the starter RUNS and not just humms,and the engine can be turned by hand,you will need a new or rebuild one.If yours was a manual and not a/t,would save a tow truck.