GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Control Arm Bushing (sorry for E36 not E34)

Default Control Arm Bushing (sorry for E36 not E34)

Hi,
    I know this belongs to the E36, but I know some guys here own E30's and E36's as well. (I also know there's more traffic on this board.) To anyone that has changed their control arm bushings, what have you used as a substitute lubricant in place of BMW kerosene-based lube? I've heard about soap & water - what's the best kind of soap to use and what ratio? Are there any other lubricants?
    Thanks for your help.
    Steven G.
    95 325iC
    95 525iA

Take it to a shop and have them pressed in. You do not want that bushing moving around or even really having a chance to slip. Cost me like $10usd to have both bushings pressed into the donut thing (that the bushing presses into on the E30), and then have it pressed onto the control arm.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. My new bushings are already pressed in to the bushing carriers. Now I have to install them (carriers with new bushings) onto the control arms and assemble everything back onto the car and get it back on the ground in .5 hour. This is the part that I need the lubricant ideas for.
    Thanks again.
    Steven G.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven G
    Sorry, I should have been more specific. My new bushings are already pressed in to the bushing carriers. Now I have to install them (carriers with new bushings) onto the control arms and assemble everything back onto the car and get it back on the ground in .5 hour. This is the part that I need the lubricant ideas for.
    Thanks again.
    Steven G.
    Ok I would probably use diluted dish soap then.

Hi,

When I did this on the E30 the dealer parts guy suggested that the BMW lube was turpentine. So that's what I used. Parts rotated freely for long enough to get on the car and lower it down to adjust to a loaded suspension. After it dryed, which was maybe 30 min. the rubber in the bushing and the control are were as tight as the orignal parts I took off.

Bruce H.