GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Is this coolant loss normal??

Default Is this coolant loss normal??

Got in my car today and got the check coolant warning when I started up. I had to put in around 700ml into the reservior. It is a 1990 525 (M20), and we have just finished a hot summer here. My fan clutch needs repacing, so the engine temp has usually been running at about 1 needle width past half. There are no visible coolant leaks, I had new hoses, water pump and coolant change about 20,000kms ago.

The car runs fine, no loss in power, oil colour is normal..... would this be the normal result of a hot summer???
    Thanks
    Garry - Perth, Western Australia

might be a slow leak.....keep an eye on it,sometimes it easier to find these leaks with a torch when you are in a dim garage ...the little pools of brightly coloured coolant show up better,look in all the nooks and crannies in the engine bay anywhere near a coolant hose,including the overflows and resevoirs......
    Gone but not forgotten

you have a leak. I replaced all my hose stuff and while inspecting the engine compartment rear of the engine I saw a pile of what seemed to be a waxy deposit of cool blue in the top of the trans. Sure enough the clamp on hose above was about 1/2 turn loose. checked all the clamps and most of them could be tightened a bit more.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Venting due to hi temp?

Is it possible that running a higher temp due to the bad fan clutch is causing a bit more expansion and venting than normal?

Default Thats what my thoughts are...

[QUOTE=danzee]Is it possible that running a higher temp due to the bad fan clutch is causing a bit more expansion and venting than normal?[/QUOT

I have ordered a new clutch, should get it today, so i will see how it goes over the next few weeks.