GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $159 for a licence plate tab in Michigan..

Default $159 for a licence plate tab in Michigan..

..what a crock of ****. Every year I cringe at writing that check. Michigan goes by the original MSRP of the car, so no matter what its worth now - you pay the high dollars. What a rip off.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Default Glad I do not live there-only drive through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek A.
    ..what a crock of ****. Every year I cringe at writing that check. Michigan goes by the original MSRP of the car, so no matter what its worth now - you pay the high dollars. What a rip off.

Be careful driving. Our tax dollars at work have created some of the world's greatest pot-holes !!
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

I read somewhere that Michigan spends the least amount of $$ per mile of road. You'd think with the auto industry here in MI, the roads would be somewhat maintained. Instead, you're driving on a minefield.

uberhan
    '94 530i 5-speed. The work begins...

i finally registered my 535 last week (after 35k miles on dealer plate/fleet insurance, if you think that's bad i've run about 75k on the e30) and paid $118 for ttl, it's good to be me

all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Tabs here in washington are a flat $30, no matter what you drive. Then there are sometimes county taxes, but not in the county I currently live in.

yep...insurance on our 4 thousand dollar autos is also 5X what it would be for a 10 year old pickup truck worth the same.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by crashnburn80
    Tabs here in washington are a flat $30, no matter what you drive. Then there are sometimes county taxes, but not in the county I currently live in.
    Thats not to bad.. It was 144.00 to the town I live in, then over to the state DMV where I had to cough up an additional 55.00 for tags," Live Free or Die " my ass. Anyway, its better than what my wife paid for her brand new XTerra .. he he he ...

sheesh we pay over two hundred bucks a year,and about 35 bucks twice a year for safety inspections,although insurance is not compulsory.My insurance is all bundled with house and contents so dont know how much it costs,although its higher than normal,probably related to engine capacity .
    Gone but not forgotten

In Australia (State of Victoria) annual vehicle registration & compulsory third party insurance is $560.00 AUD (about $450.00 USD) Compulsory Third Party covers personal injury to all 'humans' - no vehicle cover) The 'registration' part is just a tax. Stamp Duty is also applied to this which makes it a 'Tax on a tax!'

Comprehensive vehicle insurance (not compulsory) covers damage to insureds vehicle and others - $756.00 p/a An excess of $300-$1000 usually applies. More stamp duty here as well. Car insurance is not compulsory in Australia and there are many cases of uninsured deadbeats driving shitheap cars causing accidents and walking away without paying a cent.

Stamp duty also applies to the sale/purchase of every vehicle new or s/h. This a calculated at a rate of $8.00 for every $200.00 of the price of the vehicle which is 4% of the vehicles value. This applies everytime it is sold a resold again until it winds up at the wrecking yard. Duty on a $12,500 car is $500.00. If it is sold 1 year later for $10,000 then the duty is $400.00. etc.

Our governments love stamp duty. It is simply a fee (tax) charged at a percentage of ANY transaction whether it be buying a house, car, insurance, travel whatever you can think of. It doesn't matter that all these items are already taxed... the stamp duty is even applied to the tax component. These 'tax on taxes' should be illegal!

Question: In the U.S.A. does your insurance policy apply to the driver or the vehicle? Someone told that in somes states insurance applies to the license holder not the vehicle. So as long as the driver is insured that's all that matters. Is this true? Over here you if you own four cars, even if no one else
    will ever drive them except you, you must have them each individually insured.

1990 E34 535iA, 215,000kms (130,000 miles).
    Dual Climate, Rear Headrests, Rollerblind, M-Tech Wheel,
    Memory Seats, EAT Chip, T-Stars.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast