GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: key won't rotate in ignition switch or start car

check out the cable... that could be jammed down the steering column, I dont know what it goes to.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...00&hg=32&fg=30
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default trans. cable as culprit for key non-rotation?

That makes sense: Per the owner's manual, the car can only be started in Park or Neutral. There must be some sort of blocking mechansim (solenoid?) to keep the key from being turned past ~45 degress from it's insertion point, otherwise the car could be started when the transmission is in Drive or whatever, causing damage.

As you say, maybe there's a linkage problem, such that the key/ig. switch is prevented from going past ~45 degress of rotation, i.e., the car "thinks" it's in Drive whether it is or not, so won't let the key rotate. A faulty cable could do this, no?

As it is now, the key rotates only ~45 degrees regardless of the position of the transmission shifter, i.e., key rotation is < or = ~45 degrees in P, N, D, etc.. with no lights, radio, yada yada yada.

How to check this?

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    check out the cable... that could be jammed down the steering column, I dont know what it goes to.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...00&hg=32&fg=30

On 535A is no mechanical starting lock.I'ts the electric switch the gear
    lever operates which interupts the starting circuit only.You can turn the key to start anytime it just only closes the circuit in P or N.The same switch interconnects other funtions related to the transmission operation.

Thanks, Beemr, that simplifies matters and keeps me from barking up the wrong diagnostic tree. So, it' sounds like the transmission shifter has no relationship to ignition key not turnable more than ~45 degrees.

Some have suggested disconnecting the electrical ignition switch, and then see if the key will turn with the lock cylinder attached to the steering lock. If so, then the ignition switch is to blame. If not, the fault is purely mechanical and is in the lock cylinder and/or steering lock.

How to remove the lock cylinder if the key cannot be turned far enough (~60 degrees) to insert an allen wrench to release the catch? Drill it out? Brute force?

Quote Originally Posted by Beemr750
    On 535A is no mechanical starting lock.I'ts the electric switch the gear
    lever operates which interupts the starting circuit only.You can turn the key to start anytime it just only closes the circuit in P or N.The same switch interconnects other funtions related to the transmission operation.

wow thats right! just checked. can you move the gearshift at all with the key in either of the positions that the key does go to? That cable limits something or it wouldnt be there. Someone knows the answer to this but hasnt seen this post yet im sure. With the car in gear you cant shut the key all the way off too.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

The gearshift moves to any position regardless of whether the key is even in the hole, or cranked to ~45 degrees before it stops, which is not far enough to align the little holes for the allen wrench insertion to release the lock cylinder catch, or turn on electric accessories. Beemr tells me that my particular car ('90 535i with automatic trans) has no cable or mechanical connection between the gearshift and the ign. switch. Rather, it's wired such that electrical connection with the starter motor can only be made when the shifter is in P or N. So, it appears the cable has no part in this puzzle, since there's no cable.

Dealer suggested disconnecting the ign. switch and see if the key works properly. No difference, so the ign. switch has no part in the puzzle, either.

Therefore, I suppose the problem can only be in the lock cylinder and/or the steering lock, which are both purely mechanical. When the key is cranked clockwise as far as it'll go (~45 degrees), the steering lock is released, so I can turrn the steering wheel as long as I hold clockwise pressure on the key. So, since the steering lock seems OK, that just leaves the pesky lock cylinder.

Dealer wants $96. BMA price $49, I think. Plan B is to figure a way to remove this one, and fix it by removing or correcting the obstruction (bent wafer? bad spring?)

I tried drilling another little hole (~15 degrees CW of the existing one) to slip the allen wrench in to the lock cylinder catch, but this is some stout metal. Score so far: Lions 3 Christians 0.

another idea, thinking again (new to me) you might be right with the ignition being ****ed, it kinda sounds like the same thing as if you turned the key all the way to start it but didnt, you cant restart the car without removing the key and re inserting it and starting it, what makes it do this anti restart feature? could it be that cable cause when I just tried it it kinda feels rubbery unless I pull the key back out...im trying mann...lol Im not sure if its the lock that does this or something with that damn cable.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========

John F. Kennedy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12