GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quality brake pads that doesn't produce brake dust?

Default Looking for quality brake pads that doesn't produce brake dust?

Hey guys,

I looking for a quality rear brake pads that doesn't produce brake dust and perform well. I recently purchased Raybestos QS by the recommendation from this forum. Raybestos QS only makes front pads. I like to get something for the rear as well... What do you recommend? Also like to note that Raybestos QS produce almost no brake dust but performs inferior to BMW factory pads.
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    Hey guys,

I looking for a quality rear brake pads that doesn't produce brake dust and perform well. I recently purchased Raybestos QS by the recommendation from this forum. Raybestos QS only makes front pads. I like to get something for the rear as well... What do you recommend? Also like to note that Raybestos QS produce almost no brake dust but performs inferior to BMW factory pads.
    Axis Metal Master Deluxe

Default Is Axis same as PBR?

Thanks... Is Axis Metal Master same as PBR Metal Master?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Axis Metal Master Deluxe
    RICK
    BMW 1995 525i (Alpine White)

Using both PBR and Axxis, they appear to have different compounds eventhough they are the same [parent] company. I wonder if they are made at different plants? Anyways, that is a problem with the Raybestos...they are inferior to performance. Everyone want to have their cake and eat it too, but it does not happen with brake pads (or at least the selection) for BMW. I highly recommend Axxis Ultimates. They produce a grey dust that make the wheels look like shadow chrome after a wheek of use, instead of the black cake after 2 days of the factory Jurid pads. They do dust, just not as much as the stock pads and the color of the dust is the lighter grey. The Ultimates are the best street pad I have tried as far as performance in all temps.

Look over this thread for some of your answers: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7068
    Brandon J

I put in Raybestos 6 months ago on the front based on the forum advice. Dusting is definitely lower there is no sqeal at all and I'd say performance is on par with stock, I just don't see a difference. I won't say they're inferior but then again I'll admit I am VERY light on the brakes. How do you feel they were inferior to stock? I was wishing for a more responsive effect ala E46/E39 style. I Kinda regret not going for Axxis Ultimates, they were my 2nd choice but I thought they'd be a lil too racetrack style for my use. I shoulda went with them as they are made for the rear too; you right Raybestos QS are only for the front. BTW rear pads will never dust anywhere near as much as front ones so I wouldn't be that concerned of using a low-dust pad for the rear.

King Of NYC

Default Hawk

Hawk HPS pads have been my favorite street pads by far. They've had the best combination of low-dust, low-noise, good grip and longevity. (The others I've tried are: PBR Deluxe, Metalmaster and Mintex red box).
    Drew Zacharda
    6-speed Touring

Hey guys,

Drew Z
    Formerly 540iT/6, now . . . 3, 5, 7

Default I've now installed well over 200 sets of the Qs pads and i would venture to

say that you either did your install incorrectly or didn't break the pads in correctly because on every single install that i've done the performance was equal or superior to the stock pads, this is on bmw, mercedes, volvo and a legion of american and japanese cars. As far as the rears I haven't noticed any real amounts of dusting using the pg plus pads or almost any other brand on the rears... I started thinking that maybe i was mistaken on the qs since you say the performance wasn't as good as stock counter to my own experiences on every single set i've installed so i did a search under raybesto's qs pads reviews/performance and i haven't found a single negative review on google with the exception of price..

Hey guys,

I have only had my QS's on for about a week now (~200miles) and am completely satisfied! Their performance is at least as good as stock - maybe better. Very smooth, no noise at all, still too early to see about the dust. I put on the raybestos metallics on the rear. New rotors all around too (power discs front / balo's rear). The break in is important, and everyone seems to do it different. Me, I live out in the sticks so I do a number of slow soft stops at increasing speeds for about 5 miles before I get into any traffic. Even then, the 1st 75 miles or so I really baby them. It's worked for me so far...
    Scott
    '93 525iT 245k miles (sold, but not forgotten)
    '11 TSX Sport Wagon
    '00 328i
    '78 MGB
    '08 Saab Aero

Default Yes they are the same, but I recommend Deluxe version

PBR/Axxis/Repco are the same company in different incarnations.
    The Deluxe pads contain no metal and don't need to be warmed up the way the Metalmaster pads do. Not a big deal, but the Metalmasters are a bit less effective when they are cold. Deluxe and Deluxe Plus are as good as the OE pads and are virtually dustless. I like 'me better.
    Z

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon J
    Using both PBR and Axxis, they appear to have different compounds eventhough they are the same [parent] company. I wonder if they are made at different plants? Anyways, that is a problem with the Raybestos...they are inferior to performance. Everyone want to have their cake and eat it too, but it does not happen with brake pads (or at least the selection) for BMW. I highly recommend Axxis Ultimates. They produce a grey dust that make the wheels look like shadow chrome after a wheek of use, instead of the black cake after 2 days of the factory Jurid pads. They do dust, just not as much as the stock pads and the color of the dust is the lighter grey. The Ultimates are the best street pad I have tried as far as performance in all temps.

Look over this thread for some of your answers: http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=7068

I have Raybestos QS pads all the way around on my car. The part number for the rears is PGD396QS. Pep Boys has them for way too much. The brakes work great and the wheels stay clean for a long time.

zmuff--1989 535i 5-speed--17" E39 Style 32's--JC chip--UUC Short Shift--
    --Racing Dynamics Springs & Sways--Bilsteins--Yorktown, VA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast