Wonder if any of you have seen this. Starting 2-3 mos ago, my 530iTA, when very cold (New England winter), car would start off ok, but if I come to a stop after ~100 yds, would rev briefly (<1-2 sec) in a false neutral before lurching into gear coming away from the stop. The rest of the time, shifted fine. Got a few rare and temporary Transmission Program warnings, but then it seemed to get temporarily stuck in the ice/low traction mode after engaging it during bad weather. I was eventually able to get out or * mode, but then the dash indicator would show the normal PRND4-2 but neither the *, E, or S would show. Transmission shifts fine, but can't engage * mode. Tried disconnecting battery for 5 hours to allow transmission computer to reset. Showed * on restart, and this could be turned off but not re-engaged. Still no E or S when down-shifting. Finally, I tried moving the A/* switch back and forth rapidly with the E returning, but no S on shiftin down to 4 or lower. Any ideas? Could "clunk" mean that I'm a little low on ATF? On that score, the recommended procedure for checking/adding ATF sounds like a real pain -- temperature really that critical and near perfect leveling of car? How much to have this done at dealer or indy? Could my transmission ECU be shot or maybe marginal switch? Any thoughts, observations appreciated.